Author Topic: Looking for Good Steel Caster  (Read 1117 times)

Offline 120RIR

Looking for Good Steel Caster
« on: December 06, 2018, 12:37:37 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good steel caster?  I'm not necessarily looking for someone to cast long rifle parts though - I've always got other restoration/build projects.  I used to use Master Crafters in Bald Knob, Ark. but the gentleman who used to attend to my occasional and odd-ball casting jobs is no longer there and they don't appear to be as flexible as they once were.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Looking for Good Steel Caster
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 12:42:43 AM »
Oh me that is the company I use for my Gillespie hardware, can you please elaborate on loss the of flexibility? I don't order enough to fill a full order so they have been doing my work when they have a large job for the same alloy that I use. Never had to wait very long. Is this no longer done?
Dennis

Can anyone recommend a good steel caster?  I'm not necessarily looking for someone to cast long rifle parts though - I've always got other restoration/build projects.  I used to use Master Crafters in Bald Knob, Ark. but the gentleman who used to attend to my occasional and odd-ball casting jobs is no longer there and they don't appear to be as flexible as they once were.
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 12:54:03 AM »
Oh me that is the company I use for my Gillespie hardware, can you please elaborate on loss the of flexibility? I don't order enough to fill a full order so they have been doing my work when they have a large job for the same alloy that I use. Never had to wait very long. Is this no longer done?
Dennis

Dennis,
Call L&R and see who does their steel casting. All of the external parts for flint locks
I have bought from them have been fine with no exceptions.Maybe their caster can
tie a small job onto the tail of a bigger ine.

Bob Roller

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 02:33:38 AM »
I thought L&R also used an Arkansas co.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:37:28 AM by James Rogers »

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 05:55:25 PM »
Hmmm...maybe I'll try contacting Master Crafters again.  I only need steel cast once every few years or so at the most and I'll admit it's been at least five+ years but the last couple of times I tried to get something done I was pretty much just brushed off.  I used to deal with a Mr. Harriman (I think that was the name) and he was always very accommodating.  Like Mr. Roller stated, he simply tagged my little projects onto a bigger order.  Consequently, their work was very cheap, timely, and good.