Author Topic: Bear Gun...........Opinions Needed  (Read 6690 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Bear Gun...........Opinions Needed
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2018, 12:44:02 AM »
This is a tough one becuase bears are notoriously hard to draw, at least and look good.  Not much more than a big black lump.

I've been trying to come up with a folk-art/minimalistic representation of a bear for awhile now, and it always ends up looking like a pig at best.

It mustn't look like a Real animal, if it does, it's wrong, if you know what I mean.

Great way of putting it.
I guess you're stuck hunting pigs then.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2018, 02:28:11 AM »
Reminds me of a time some 25-30 years ago my friend Mike and I were invited to a bear hunt in central PA. We jumped in the truck drove three hours south parked at the camp and changed into our hunting outfits and knocked on the door. We had our guns, horns and bags and were in our birthday suits ready for bare hunting. Had quite a time. ;D

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2018, 07:27:57 AM »
Mike, In another time and place, you could have been the Court Jester!  LOL!

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Finest Сasual Dating - Verified Women
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2018, 06:00:00 PM »
Due to the difficulty of getting this right and not ruining the stock by carving something inappropriate on it. I've decided to make a bear hunting horn instead. Maybe making 3 horns with deer, bear, and elk on them. I can grab the horn to fit the animal i'm hunting.

The idea of concentrating on bears exclusively appeals to me. However, I know me and when it comes time to put in for tags that i'll try for bear, elk, and deer. I hadn't considered if I only put in for bear that I might not get it. Anything can happen in the draw.

It's been an interesting thread and I appreciate all your comments. It made me think of things I hadn't considered.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2018, 06:33:15 PM »
Knowing myself all too well, I'd get ready to go elk hunting and end up unknowingly grabbing the bear horn because I'm not wearing my glasses and only discover this when I get ready to load...….have to drive all the way back home then and get the right horn. Just too big a chance for an error for me.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2018, 06:43:30 PM »
You could do a record horn.  My hunting horn I made flat paneled for the whole body, with panels to record the sika and whitetails I've shot with my longrifles.  Nifty to look at after a few years.  Only thing I have separate is the horn for smoothbore/turkey hunting becuase I use FF in that one and FFF in the rifle horn.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2018, 07:36:12 PM »
Knowing myself all too well, I'd get ready to go elk hunting and end up unknowingly grabbing the bear horn because I'm not wearing my glasses and only discover this when I get ready to load...….have to drive all the way back home then and get the right horn. Just too big a chance for an error for me.

LOL..I'll probably do that too.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2018, 07:40:48 PM »
You could do a record horn.  My hunting horn I made flat paneled for the whole body, with panels to record the sika and whitetails I've shot with my longrifles.  Nifty to look at after a few years.  Only thing I have separate is the horn for smoothbore/turkey hunting becuase I use FF in that one and FFF in the rifle horn.

I use the same load for all the game I hunt, so that makes it easier. Even if I grab the wrong one the powder will be right.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2018, 03:03:47 AM »
I guess you're stuck hunting pigs then.

Alas, one of the reasons why I'm interested in drawing bears on stuff is because my family name references bears...I suppose I could change my name, but "bold as a pig" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2018, 03:59:26 AM »
Elnathan,
Neither does it cross well with the Indian name, "Ten Bears".  "Ten Pigs"  sends a whole different message!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2018, 10:47:49 PM »
10 pigs!!!!!!!!!!!LOLOLOLOL
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2018, 11:17:05 PM »
Lotta Pork!