General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

sights for chunk

<< < (5/5)

Daryl:
Mark, the squirrel match is at the silhouette of a squirrel standing up, burn into a shingle with a shaped branding iron.  You end up with an outline only with no scoring rings, all of which is hung on a target board amongst branches and leaves. Suffice to say, you must put all the shots into the mellon to win. Any 1" group will probably win it if pefectly centred. Oh yeah, it's close, only 25 yards.
; Your .40 sounds great, Mark, but a 1" x54"? Gads, I can barely hold up my own .40 which is only 7/8"x 42 1/2".

smokinbuck:
Daryl,
Didn't realize you were talking about an offhand match. We have some similar and have a few smaller 40's that we can hold up a little easier. I just like BIG guns, like my .62 fowler with a 72" barrel or my Brooks underhammer at 40+#. Then there's the 8 bore!! It's one heck of a game if you can just decide what aspect of it to enjoy.
Mark

Daryl:
I'd like to try a really big gun some time. Taylor built a 5 pound underhammer for a fellow, once.  It would have made Billinhurst proud.  The barrel was 2 1/2" octagonal, but unfortunately, it had a 1" hole in it and the guy wanted it left a 4 bore.  I was all for lining the barrel with a slug or RB liner, but such was not to be.  When test firing the gun, it would move backwards 12" - no matter how hard you put your shoulder into it. It would go boom - then the gun would slide back on the bags. Seems to me Taylor made a muzzle rest for it.  I remember it had a tang sight and hooded pin-head(hog's bristle) front and we used to get about a 3' group at 300 meters.  It moved about 1/2 yard of dirt & rocks when it hit.  I still have a recovered ball, flattened out very nicely. Taylor made a 1" mould for it out of maple. We cast a bunch, then shot them off.  I think we only used 300gr. fo 2F(11 DRAMS)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version