General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

sights for chunk

<< < (2/5) > >>

Sam Everly:
Go to the York shoot and look at 200 spoters, every one has a differant one . I use a yellow back ground with a black upside down u . I slide the flat top blade in to the u and have just a hint of yellow on the sides . The rear sight is a flat top with a notch wide enough to see the u with a hint of yellow around it . Sounds odd but it works for me . It took me about a year of shooting just chunk, to where i got to where i could hold my own ! A hint, shoot off the bench for a while to get your spoters right then go to the belly! You have to get every thing right each time you get up and down , same place on the blanket and same elbow  spots and feet the same . That is why the bench is better for getting the spoters right.       

Roger Fisher:

--- Quote from: D. Taylor Sapergia on July 28, 2008, 05:55:23 AM ---Roger, I think you are on to something.  With the open sights (no shaders) the silver blade shows up nicely on a dark target, but put on the shaders which crisps up the sights, and you cannot see the sights against the black centre.  So, i've made up some targets of black poster board with some various shapes, colours and sizes of centres...I'll let you know how this goes.  This chunk game is interesting, and no where near as easy as I thought it was going to be.

--- End quote ---
I mentioned that I use a 6 0'clock hold to attempt same hold each shot and do not hold up in the black.  Idea is to set that black square centered on top of my post frt sight.  This worked just fine til cataracts began fuzzing out the sight picture and nutzing up my shooting.    Yes it does look easy but ain't.     ::)  And as ol Sam posted you must attempt to do each and every thing the same each shot.!  It is an old tyme shooting regime for certain and never died out in our South and mid states.

Daryl:
I tried a 6 o'clock hold, but couldn't see the top of the sight against the bull worth a hoot. That's why I went back to the bead - works for me - shaded or not, doesn't matter.

beleg2:
Hi, good posts!
Sight are a very personal matter, it depends on your point of view. ;D
I alway like partridge (square) front sight and flat rear sight with square notch.
I use to hunt avutardas (South american geese) shooting with my .22 Remington at more than 100 yards with this sight many years ago.
Now my eyes are not better and following Daryl advise try express sights. I love them.
Daryl, How about a tutoria about how you make your sights?
Im puzzled on how you solder the brass cilinder on your front sight.
Thanks
Martin

Daryl:
That's an idea, Martin- but it's easy- you just tin the top of the blade and bead material (solid brass rod), then hold the round dowel of brass on top of the slightly langled blade and heat it till the brass flows. Take the heat away, and let is solidify - done.  It's almost as simple as any other soldering.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version