Author Topic: A very good article on the Ferguson rifle  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Craig Wilcox

Re: A very good article on the Ferguson rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 08:40:58 PM »
Thank you, Sir Dennis, for posting this fine article.  A love of history has been mine since about age 5, living in D.C., and having a Naval officer to guide me.

Ferguson certainly was an inquisitive soul, and of course developed improvements on the original breech-loading gun.

But reading it again, I do wonder how the British Army won so many battles and colonized so much territory.  When I read, "Ferguson was part of a generation of active, intelligent, professional and ambitious British light infantry officers," I really question one's ability if one "purchases" his commission, THEN goes to school to learn tactics and strategy.  I wonder what a Cornet cost, in 1760-70 terms.  And were the higher ranks also purchased?

There is much to admire about Ferguson's rifle, and about the British Army.  But I still dislike officers who purchase their rank.  Is it no wonder that I feel many of the BA officers of that period were terribly arrogant?

Again, thanks for posting this very educational article.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

ClaudeH

Re: A very good article on the Ferguson rifle
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 08:05:39 PM »
Be on guard at that site.  I am sure the site is on the up and up but their header banner may be infected.  When I clicked on the banner all sorts of things opened up o my computer.