Author Topic: ID Help  (Read 1245 times)

Offline 1sogdusm

ID Help
« on: December 23, 2018, 02:42:55 AM »
I thought I would post a few photos of another rifle I turned up recently. If anyone has any ideas on this patchbox style or other features that might help ID this one it will be greatly appreciated. This one has a 42” swamped barrel, around 58 caliber. Lock appears to be R. Ashmore& Son but no markings on Barrel. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience and thoughts.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: ID Help
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 02:57:21 AM »
Wow, some distinctive shapes in there.  I can't help further than that, but those seem unique and thusly "identifying" fer sher.  Good luck.
Hold to the Wind

Offline 1sogdusm

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 03:26:37 AM »
I thought the same Wade, not your run of the mill shapes for sure. Somebody will have seen them I’m sure.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 05:12:24 PM »
I think I’d start looking in Somerset County. At least some of the features remind me of that area like stock shape and inlays
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline 1sogdusm

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 10:03:03 PM »
Thanks for the help, I also stumbled on some Huntingdon County Rifles that seem to have similar characteristics but most being smaller caliber.  I will continue to dig and see what I can find.

Merry Christmas