Author Topic: Charger on Horn?  (Read 1643 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Charger on Horn?
« on: December 22, 2018, 04:09:19 PM »
Hi all!  :D

I’ve read some have a charger, AKA powder measure, attached to their horns instead of their shooting bags. How is this done? I have seen one shooter with the measure attached the horn stopper itself. Looks handy but it sure seemed unsafe as it leaves the powder horn open while charging the gun!

How do you all do it?

Thanks!

Offline bigsmoke

Re: Charger on Horn?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 07:16:37 PM »
Treso and a few other manufacturers make a horn valve that you can screw a flask spout into.  I think they run anywhere from 15 grains up to 200 grains.  They also make a brass bushing the valve can screw into, so you are going brass into brass instead of brass into horn.  The female threads will last longer that way.
Considering it is not a good idea to pour powder directly into the barrel from the powder container, I have always felt it's kind of a so what situation.  However, I do kind of like outfitting it with a 15 or a 20 grain measure as that is a pretty convenient thing to pour powder into a separate measure.
If you were to look at say Powder Horns and More's website (www.powderhornsandmore.com) you would see either the horn itself or just the valve.
Hope this helps.
John

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 07:41:28 PM »
Treso and a few other manufacturers make a horn valve that you can screw a flask spout into.  I think they run anywhere from 15 grains up to 200 grains.  They also make a brass bushing the valve can screw into, so you are going brass into brass instead of brass into horn.  The female threads will last longer that way.
Considering it is not a good idea to pour powder directly into the barrel from the powder container, I have always felt it's kind of a so what situation.  However, I do kind of like outfitting it with a 15 or a 20 grain measure as that is a pretty convenient thing to pour powder into a separate measure.
If you were to look at say Powder Horns and More's website (www.powderhornsandmore.com) you would see either the horn itself or just the valve.
Hope this helps.
John

I see, but that doesn’t sound very historically correct.

Steve Patterson

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 07:52:51 PM »
You're just dummy cording it to your horn strap, or horn, or bag or bag strap. Whatever works best for you and what you have. Continue your horn strap past and hook your charger to it, or get a thong and tie it to whatever is convenient. I tie mine to my bag strap right next to the flap so I can tuck it in the bag between shots. I hate stuff rattling and flopping and I carry my bag and horn on seperate straps on the same side. In the limited reading I've done I've seen the trend that holds true now: if you don't have regulations telling you how to do it, a guy does it however works best for him with what he has available

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 08:56:49 PM »
Jim Webb shared with me that in the old days most of the accoutrement kits (measure, brush, pick) that were hung off of the bag or strap were usually tucked under the flap and into the bag.  That way they didn't flop around, make noise, or get torn off.  They were pulled out to load, and then tucked back in.   Something to think about when deciding where to hang your gear and how long to make the chains or thongs. 
God Bless and best wishes,   Marc

Steve Patterson

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 04:57:22 PM »
Jim Webb shared with me that in the old days most of the accoutrement kits (measure, brush, pick) that were hung off of the bag or strap were usually tucked under the flap and into the bag.  That way they didn't flop around, make noise, or get torn off.  They were pulled out to load, and then tucked back in.   Something to think about when deciding where to hang your gear and how long to make the chains or thongs. 
God Bless and best wishes,   Marc

This is the method I am using at the moment. My ball board is tied to a leather thong with a knot in the end to keep it in place... I left a long tail on the knot and tied my antler measure to it.

When I load I pull both items out of the bag at the same time, measure and pour the powder, then start the ball. Then both measure and ball board are placed back in my bag.

It keeps everything together so I don't have to fish or untangle separate things. And they are both in the bag riding quietly and not tangling on brush.

I may tweak the arrangement as time goes on. But for now it's working pretty well.

Mike

Online smokinbuck

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 05:50:14 PM »
Smokey,
I'm not a HC shooter, just a practical make it easy type of guy. I use pre loaders. Put 2-3 in your picket with a small short starter and you've got "most" of what you need. Obviously the work starts after the shot.
Mark
Mark