Author Topic: Making a long gun ... ?  (Read 6657 times)

Offline mountainman

Re: Making a long gun ... ?
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2023, 02:47:42 AM »
It's about language, words mean things. I ask "what kind of gun are you making". You respond " A Lancaster build". Why would you add the word "Build"? Or, "My next gun is a Woodbury build". What the heck does that mean? Seems to be common practice but it rubs my fur backwards. Very annoying, of course I'm nearly always annoyed these days. :P Folks don't make guns anymore, they now make "builds". Seems to be a cross over from the bolt gun crowd. Carry on......
Mike,
I agree words matter and so does grammar.  These days we take verbs, like "build", and turn them into nouns, and nouns, like "text", and turn them into verbs. I guess I am less annoyed by that than I am when someone calls a rifle "Lancaster" and it has some generic stock with hardware labeled "Lancaster" by the parts supplier.  If you look at TOW's gun consignment sale pages, you see many guns labelled Christian's Spring, Lehigh, English fowler, etc,  that have very little in common with originals and the label is pretty dubious.

dave
HA! My favorite is "Early Virginia". Seems to be a catch all for just about anything iron mounted. Or how about "SMR"? Seems to cover everything iron mounted with later features than "Early Virginia". Took me about three years to figure out what the abbreviation "SMR" even meant. Another favorite is "Smoothie"...too annoying to even discuss but is on par with "Smoke Pole". ::)  Also add to my hate list: "Flinter" , "Rock Lock", "Front Stuffer" and a new one I read recently, "Poke Stalk". And don't forget the controversial term "Canoe Gun". Sure is fun complaining about stuff. ;D
How about a soddy daisy, what's that?

Offline shootrj2003

• Starting Member
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2023, 03:03:12 AM »
What is that ?…I had to ask!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2023, 05:45:58 AM »
What is that ?…I had to ask!
A daisey that pokes up out of the sod
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?