Author Topic: Ashmoore warranted flintlock/plate  (Read 1455 times)

Offline 45-110

Ashmoore warranted flintlock/plate
« on: December 28, 2018, 09:05:23 PM »
The old posts on this did not seem to locate a supplier for a right hand lock. Have any new sources come up? I need a round tail lock plate with the Ashmoore Warranted engraved name. Also would like to end up with the roller on frizzen instead of the spring. I am thinking of a full stock Hawken build for this winter. I guess if I can locate the plate I will fab the rest of the parts.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Ashmoore warranted flintlock/plate
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 09:50:27 PM »
L & R's Ashmore lock will work, but as usual it wants some tweeking.  You can replace their roller frizzen spring with their Small Manton frizzen spring, and split the boss on the frizzen and install a roller bearing.

To really improve the lock for the purposes of a Hawken rifle, the plate should be filed flat.  In other words, remove the edge bevel.  But that's certainly a taste thing.  And of course, you willhave to engrave the plate "Ashmore Warranted".

Here's that lock in a rifle I made a few years back...

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline 45-110

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 11:56:52 PM »
D. T. Sapergia
It was this very lock of yours I saw that prompted me to try to locate one on this forum. Your rendition is very classy.
I am not very good at engraving letters, so I was hoping to locate a older repro plate that has the name engraved (or cast in). Seems to me in the 1970-'80's or so this type of lock was available? But by whom....Dixie?
best
kw

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 12:52:46 AM »
The old posts on this did not seem to locate a supplier for a right hand lock. Have any new sources come up? I need a round tail lock plate with the Ashmoore Warranted engraved name. Also would like to end up with the roller on frizzen instead of the spring. I am thinking of a full stock Hawken build for this winter. I guess if I can locate the plate I will fab the rest of the parts.
[/quote

I have bought the plate,cock and frizzen from L&R and used a frizzen spring from the
old Chet Shoults Ketland and installed a roller on the foot of the frizzen and it worked
well.Another one I did was to use a Chambers Late Ketland frizzen spring and it also
worked well. The Shoults spring is from Jerry DeVaudreuil in Wooster,Ohio 1-330-234-4500.
He has no computer and the number of the spring is G187.

Bob Roller