General discussion > Gun Building

Barrel Bending

(1/11) > >>

Mr. Bubbles:
I'm just trying to get my sights right on a new build.  (So far, 60 shots taken down range. )Right now to get the E-W close to right, I have to move the rear sight almost to the edge of the barrel flat to the left, and the front sight way to the right.  Obviously this looks pretty goofy, and affects how the gun is mounted an cheek weld happens.  The only solution I can think of is bending the barrel to get things less kittywumpus looking.

Have you guys run in to this issue before, and, if so, how did you deal with it?  Or, should I not really worry abut it until I get another 100 or so through it, and the correct load developed?

sqrldog:
Bend the barrel to get sights back to the center of the barrel. There have been threads recently on how to do this. I've bent three or four barrel to get sights back on center with surprisingly good results.

Flint62Smoothie:
Agree, bend it. First few I did I jigged up, took copius markings, etc., to re-place it back at the same spot and nnow how far I may have deflected it ... and it worked. But the last one I just removed from the stock, placed the breech under the range bench and gave the barrel a good ‘whang’ in the direction it needed to go ... 1st shot took out the X at 50-yards offhand, others right on top of it, so it worked out great, albeit VERY lucky ... haha!

45-110:
oh yes.....have had to bend a few.............my fowler being the worse. put the thing in my Reese square tube truck hitch with a couple of wood shim blocks and "sprang away"  it worked. made me queasy though doing it. clamping rifle barrels on my mill table for a bend is the "normal practice"
kw

Mr. Bubbles:
Any specific tricks to it?  Or, just wang away and hope for the best?  I hate to put a kink in it.  Being an A-weight 38 cal, it's pretty darn thin and whippy to start with

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version