Author Topic: Sgt. York rifle  (Read 14350 times)

Offline Dan'l 1946

Sgt. York rifle
« on: June 14, 2009, 11:15:40 AM »
I just checked in at the Blog, and they've got Sgt. York's rifle on there. His percussion rifle not the WWI rifle. I've wondered for years what it really looked like, and this one looks like the real deal! That's got to be the first time it's ever been seen on the web. Ya gotta love the Blog!
                                                                                   Dan

Offline Don Steele

Re: Sgt. York rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 05:58:16 PM »
Which "Blog"would that be..??? Please post a link or something...I'd love to see that rifle..!!
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 07:10:22 PM »
Everyone who has gone to the York Shoot, held in March, has gotten to meet his son Andrew. A nicer gentleman you won't find. One year he brought the York rifle down to the range and some of us took pictures holding it. It is pretty beat up and wouldn't command a second look on a for sale table at a show, but it sure was neat to be holding a piece of American history.
Mark
Mark

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 08:23:41 PM »
Everyone who has gone to the York Shoot, held in March, has gotten to meet his son Andrew. A nicer gentleman you won't find. One year he brought the York rifle down to the range and some of us took pictures holding it. It is pretty beat up and wouldn't command a second look on a for sale table at a show, but it sure was neat to be holding a piece of American history.
Mark

That's just it. The history. When we start forgetting about men like Alvin York we will have lost an important part of ourselves. Each time I look at a long rifle, plain or fancy, I'm reminded that it was carried by an American citizen--usually anonymous. Maybe he just fed his family and protected them, or was at the battle of New Orleans or carried it west in search of furs or gold or a new home. They could all tell a good story or two. It doesn't hurt that most are graceful old things and even the ones that aren't are still uniquely American. The Winchester may be the gun that won the West, but these are the guns that won America! The York rifle is worn and well used and not the fanciest rifle to be sure, but I am as happy to know that it is still preserved as I can be. And to discuss it on flag day seems very appropriate!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 08:30:42 PM by GOEX4fg »

longrifle

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 08:45:20 PM »
That is a great rifle any one know if it is marked or who the maker was ? Men like Alvin C. York should never be forgotten. He was and still is great American and Hero. Men like him are hard to find these days. Thanks for posting the link.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 08:52:38 PM by longrifle »

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 09:06:05 AM »
I don't believe I've ever seen that step transition between the forearm and the lock area before. Is that a common feature on rifles from this region?
                                                                                           Dan

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 12:52:17 PM »
Thanks for the link. Goex...your comment is right on the mark. It's the simple, unassuming well-used rifles throughout our nation's history that have helped make us who we are. Likewise...the simple, unassuming, hard-working citizens. 
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 08:57:53 PM »
What a treat!  This rifle has some wonderful architecture from a shooter's point of view.  And I do not believe that the forend/lock panel area is stepped.  I submit that from the forward trigger guard extension to the entry pipe is straight and without a step, but the heaviness of the forward lower lock panels extend past that line in an angled view.
This rifle has one of the nicest wrist to butt plate profiles I've seen on a southern rifle.  Likewise, the butt plate's curve is most pleasing...it doesn't have an extended toe, as so often is the case.   Reminds me of Ian Pratt's work.
The rifle exemplifies the pre-conceived notion I have of Sgt. York's personality.  Thanks to whomever is responsible to this exposure.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

TNrifleman

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 12:31:12 AM »
That rifle is a wonderful old piece of American history. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 03:08:17 AM »
What a treat!  This rifle has some wonderful architecture from a shooter's point of view.  And I do not believe that the forend/lock panel area is stepped.  I submit that from the forward trigger guard extension to the entry pipe is straight and without a step, but the heaviness of the forward lower lock panels extend past that line in an angled view.
This rifle has one of the nicest wrist to butt plate profiles I've seen on a southern rifle.  Likewise, the butt plate's curve is most pleasing...it doesn't have an extended toe, as so often is the case.   Reminds me of Ian Pratt's work.
The rifle exemplifies the pre-conceived notion I have of Sgt. York's personality.  Thanks to whomever is responsible to this exposure.

It's almost an optical illusion. I do see what you mean, though. I've had an interest in this rifle since the first time I saw the film about a half century ago. I wish I knew some of the specifications, such as the barrel length and width across the flats. Caliber, too.  I've got a nice, long maple blank that I got from Allan Sandy some years ago. It would take a 48"+ barrel easily and would be worthy of a rifle such as this one. Probably a straight barrel don't you think?

I can see Alvin York drawing a bead on a  turkey's head with this rifle and to me it embodies the simple honesty and integrity of the man himself. And it symbolizes a better time in America--a less hurried time when one knew one's neighbors and cared about them. That's probably a lot to lay on one old rifle but there it is. Or maybe I'm just getting old....

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 05:35:37 PM »
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vb_Yo_ELC48/SjLy_57QOoI/AAAAAAAAOTo/8QUzrWLG_mc/s1600-h/Sgt+York+Shoot_group_ret.jpg

Can anyone identify the shooters in the York photo? I know John Braxton on the left and I think the one second from the right might be Jerry Anderson. Anyone have any ideas?

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
I will take a couple of guesses.  Third from left, back row, - Allen Coon. Fourth from left, back row - David Wright.  First from left bottom row looks like Steve Baxter.

Randy Hedden
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 06:24:20 AM by Randy Hedden »
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 06:45:33 PM »
First from left bottom row looks like Steve Baxter
Randy, it's not Steve.  I forget his name, but he's part of the Coon gang.  I think he stays in the trailer directly east of Allen's.  He's always at the Sat. nite feed at Lair's place.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Mike R

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 09:43:08 PM »
I have seen some oblique close ups of the rear sight and could not see a notch in it--either the notch is REAL slim or is not there, in which case I'd guess it to be a replacement added after use stopped.  Anyone know?

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 12:15:13 AM »
Back to the photo... the second one from the left standing in on the back row looks a lot like Mel Hankla. Shelby Gallien

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 01:38:48 AM »
It's not Mel,  Can't think of his name, but till this year he's won like four in a row, as well as the top shooters with barrels he makes.  Mel hasn't had a stash in years , it conflicts with his Ben Franklin personna.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 03:36:42 AM »
First from left bottom row looks like Steve Baxter
Randy, it's not Steve.  I forget his name, but he's part of the Coon gang.  I think he stays in the trailer directly east of Allen's.  He's always at the Sat. nite feed at Lair's place.

TOF,

The guy I was referring to is one of the old Widow Makers who is known as "Whip" or "Tennessee Whip" and sells the hand forged iron buckles.  I think his name is Steve Baxter? Probably not the same guy, how can you tell under the beard?

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 04:16:25 AM »
his name is Steve Baxter? Probably not the same guy, how can you tell under the beard?
Randy,
Steve is in our club down here.  He's got a big bushy beard and that wild look in his eyes that a lot of people in the south have.  The other guy is a tall dude with a straight scraggly beard.  He and Allen and Mel all hang out together.

Also, I don't think that is Mel in the picture unless it was taken 20 years ago.  Mel has light reddish hair.....what's left of it and is a bit more rotund than the guy in the picture.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

david64

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 09:25:43 PM »
Any maker info of this wonderful old longrifle?

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 09:56:53 PM »
Back to the picture again: I "think the fellow next to John Braxton is Paul Grifith and then you have Billy Burtt, with the beard,kneeling  in front of Allen Coon
Mark
Mark

Offline Dave R

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 05:52:58 AM »
Front row left is the " World Famous shootin box builder and the first York Champion" Bill Burt, To his right is the attractive Mrs David [ Jane ]Wright, Upper row second from the left appears to be the famous "Spider Matic"  barrel builder and three times [ Possibly four ? ] Alvin York match winner  Paul Griffith, Is it possible the gentleman on the upper right is one of Sgt Alvin York's Grandsons ??? More guidance needed!
Dave Reising

david64

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 05:33:47 PM »
No  one has any idea who the make might have been for this longrifle?

Any info on the caliber?

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 09:01:12 PM »
Just ran across this looking for another Post on a rifle made by O Welch:

Andy told me several years ago that after his Dad came home from the War that his favorite rifle used in the Saturday matches was an original 1873 Winchester lever action presented to him by Winchester.

Andy also told me the following jewels of information:

His Dad's '03 Springfield-the one he used during the War, and not the Eddystone mistakenly referred to that Sgt.York never had -was stolen out of the troopship's armory (the SS Ohian) and no trace of it has ever been found. Even the serial number aparently is unrecorded. Andy said two pistols were brought back, and I got a good laugh when he told me these were "those ole German Jump-Up Pistols" referring to the breach action of a Lugar when fired. One pistol was given to an attorney-personal friend of Sgt. York's-in Louisville, Ky. The other is in posession and displayed at the York Memorial School in Jamestown, Tennessee.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 01:52:28 AM »
Dave R, Thanks for answering the obvious question  ;) Looks like fun.