Author Topic: ALR Musuem Pistol with brass barrel. Maker unknown  (Read 3215 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
ALR Musuem Pistol with brass barrel. Maker unknown
« on: July 12, 2009, 04:05:28 PM »
This is beautiful pistol with brass barrel believed to be American.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=5621.0

HUrricane

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: ALR Musuem Pistol with brass barrel. Maker unknown
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 06:45:51 PM »
What a perfect little pistol!  It had to have been a flintlock originally...yes?  It's in remarkable shape.  Thanks for showing us.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 03:17:32 AM »
I very much doubt it was originally flint but I'm sure that the barrel and probably the butt cap came from a much earlier flint pistol.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 05:57:19 AM »
I agree the gun appears to have been built in the percussion era using earlier parts for the barrel, butt cap, guard, etc. However, this is still a great percussion era pistol, neatly stocked with nice additions of later silver inlays to enhance the earlier good quality furniture.  Shelby Gallien

• Library_mod
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 05:43:39 PM »
An Anonymous contributor wrote:
"A classic example of an American restocked European pistol of considerable quality. Major components appears to be 1700s English, or French, and it is possible that more than one gun gave its parts to this little piece. The barrel looks English and the hardware is Frenchy.
It is a great little gun and demonstrates the artistry and skill of an American gun maker somewhere in the South, I suspect.
Silver inlays are very tasteful and well done; the maple stock has a rich piano finish and the gun was remade as a caplock using a nice lock and hammer.
These pieces no doubt have stories that would fascinate us for hours if we only knew what they know. "
( added by Hurricane)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 05:44:15 PM by hurricane »

• Library_mod
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 05:19:02 PM »
Another anonymous comment about  this gun"

"I agree with XXXXXX's sentiments regarding this neat little pistol. One slight difference in thought is that  despite the "flamboyant" silver inlays on forestock and side plate, I don't get the feel that it is southern, and tend to think it may be from Pennsylvania. This is based partially on the opposed moons around the thumb inlay, which look "Pennsylvania" to me. Regardless, it reflects what America was originally all about; give someone a few old parts, and he could make something beautiful and functional out of it."