Author Topic: starting load  (Read 2730 times)

projeeper

starting load
« on: June 13, 2009, 12:57:06 AM »
what is a good starting load for the first shots out of a just done rifle?45 cal, 13/16 across the flats, flint, 3 1/16 pins and tang screw holding the barrel

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: starting load
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 02:33:09 AM »
If she were mine I'd start with 45 3 f goex or 40 swiss and move uip til she seems to have peaked groupwise then go out from 25 yds to 50 etc. I move my charge up as I move out.  Some shooters do fine by showing more frt sight; but thats a whole 'nuther' story :D

Some folks claim they sight in offhand I must get comfy and shoot from a rest to do that... ;D

erdillonjr

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 07:44:57 PM »
I agree with Roger about the starting load. Dont site your rifle in till you establish a group. Do this from a bench or some kind of stable rest to eliminate errors. Then site your rifle in after you have worked up a load she likes. Then have fun. My 50 cal shoots the same POI at 50 yards as it does at 25 yards. Ed
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 07:46:22 PM by erdillonjr »

northwoodsdave

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 05:11:22 PM »
I always use the old standard of as many grains of powder as the caliber of the gun.  Fifty grains for a fifty caliber, and (in your case) 45 grains for a forty five.  Remember the finer the powder, the more of it fits in the same space.  So a charge of 3f will be a bit more powerful that a charge of 2f.

Maximum load is usually twice the standard load.

In pistols, halve both (25 grains for a Fifty cal, etc, with a max of 50 grains).

This is not a unvariable law, just a handy guide for starting loads.

Dave

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 07:22:12 PM »
Sounds like all good advice to me.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.