General discussion > Antique Gun Collecting

Hacker Martin (Article Part Two)

(1/3) > >>

david64:
This is taken from the August 1970 issue of Muzzle Blasts magazine.

Ken G:
David,
On behalf of some of us newer to the sport, I thank you for posting the articles.  Interesting reading.
Ken

mr. no gold:
Hacker Martin was a legend already by the 1950s-early 60s when I began to notice that there were such intriguing things as Kentucky Rifles. Always wished that I had the opportunity to acquire one his guns, but never did. He was a legitimate maker who was later in the long line of succession of makers from 1750 up to this time. He was one who kept the craft alive and we all owe him big time. There were others as well, but he stood out among the rest.
Dick

david64:
I'm happy to do it because it gives people, also like me, who have never seen these articles the opportunity to enjoy them.  That is why I wish that Muzzle Blasts would, from time to time, republish some of these old articles so that later generations can enjoy them too.

PINYONE:
Hacker Martin- was a man who lived the Dream as we call it- turned into real life experience. His  rifles are the real deal. I had one years ago that was one of his later rifles, there were quite a few gaps here and there- some carved areas that were more primitive than what people strive for now. But the overall the rifle looked lioke an original. I was not aware of this fact - oneday while visiting John Bivins in Salem we were riding out in the country talking about Hacker and he told me hacker was his second cousin. He also said that some of his best longrifle adventures were at Hackers home in Virginia when he and Wallace Gusler would go there and shoot rifles. They took Wallaces first totally handforged rifle rifle there and shot it- he said hacker thought the rifle was as good as he had ever seen. When I got my first Dixie Gun works Catalog in 1970 there were a number of Hackers rifles forsale in there, along with Bucheles rifles. That was the day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version