Author Topic: Hacker Martin (Article Part Two)  (Read 9298 times)

david64

Hacker Martin (Article Part Two)
« on: July 27, 2008, 09:42:32 PM »
This is taken from the August 1970 issue of Muzzle Blasts magazine.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Hacker Martin (Article Part Two)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 03:50:00 AM »
David,
On behalf of some of us newer to the sport, I thank you for posting the articles.  Interesting reading.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 04:29:43 AM »
Hacker Martin was a legend already by the 1950s-early 60s when I began to notice that there were such intriguing things as Kentucky Rifles. Always wished that I had the opportunity to acquire one his guns, but never did. He was a legitimate maker who was later in the long line of succession of makers from 1750 up to this time. He was one who kept the craft alive and we all owe him big time. There were others as well, but he stood out among the rest.
Dick

david64

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 03:03:34 PM »
I'm happy to do it because it gives people, also like me, who have never seen these articles the opportunity to enjoy them.  That is why I wish that Muzzle Blasts would, from time to time, republish some of these old articles so that later generations can enjoy them too.

PINYONE

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 04:37:51 PM »
Hacker Martin- was a man who lived the Dream as we call it- turned into real life experience. His  rifles are the real deal. I had one years ago that was one of his later rifles, there were quite a few gaps here and there- some carved areas that were more primitive than what people strive for now. But the overall the rifle looked lioke an original. I was not aware of this fact - oneday while visiting John Bivins in Salem we were riding out in the country talking about Hacker and he told me hacker was his second cousin. He also said that some of his best longrifle adventures were at Hackers home in Virginia when he and Wallace Gusler would go there and shoot rifles. They took Wallaces first totally handforged rifle rifle there and shot it- he said hacker thought the rifle was as good as he had ever seen. When I got my first Dixie Gun works Catalog in 1970 there were a number of Hackers rifles forsale in there, along with Bucheles rifles. That was the day.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 02:51:33 AM »
When  I was a boy, there was an old man that had a rifle that Hacker had built. I'm sorry to say I don't recall much about it now, but I do remember that he used to take trips down Hacker's way every so often, and he'd come back with sacks of meal ground in Hacker's mill and he'd make breakfast for us once in a while using the meal. He'd bring back longrifles that he would sell to pay for the trips, but he kept that Hacker Martin rifle 'til he died.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 03:24:40 AM »

I'm happy to do it because it gives people, also like me, who have never seen these articles the opportunity to enjoy them.  That is why I wish that Muzzle Blasts would, from time to time, republish some of these old articles so that later generations can enjoy them too.
David64,
I love the articles too but I think we had best cut back on the posting of the magazine articles. They are copyrighted and unless you have written permission to post them I suspect it would be considered way beyond "educational use" to post them in a public forum (Educational use is most often short excerpts). You might contact them and see if they would grant you permission to post.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 03:26:38 AM »
Dennis,
I sure hate it when you are right.   >:(
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

david64

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 04:11:17 PM »
Okay will do.  I was just thinking that since 38 years had passed it might be okay.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 04:39:32 PM »
I live a couple miles downstream from Hacker's Appomattox mill on Wreck Island Cr. 
My family used to own that mill seat on an original patent.  My great uncle used to go and see him. Wish I had been around and of an age to remember.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 05:47:24 PM »

Insert Quote
Okay will do.  I was just thinking that since 38 years had passed it might be okay.

Here is a link that gives the terms of copyrights

http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm

And here is another good link about copyrights.
http://www.copyright.iupui.edu/quickguide.htm

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 07:22:32 PM »
I seemed to remember that we have an NMLRA Vice-president on the board.  Maybe he'll tune in with some advice or opinion.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

david64

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 07:51:24 PM »
Dennis I have deleted all the articles that I had posted.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 03:05:44 PM »
David,
I wasn't trying to get you to pull them down but it is probably best until we get permission. I just wanted folks to be aware of copyrights. Most people are not aware of what copyrights cover. I didn't know myself until I looked into it prior to publishing my book.

Dennis

PINYONE

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 10:56:16 PM »
Hey Boys- there are 2 nice Hacker Martin rifles for sale on CLA- they ain't gonna make anymore. PINYON