Author Topic: I need help with my new-to-me rifle  (Read 6880 times)

TNrifleman

I need help with my new-to-me rifle
« on: June 16, 2009, 12:03:31 AM »
You guys are by far the most knowledgeable group of black powder shooters I know of. I could really use some help with a problem I have with a Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Mountain Rifle.

I recently purchased this rifle after giving it a good going-over. It is a 50 caliber cap lock. I have wanted one of these for years.  While cocking the hammer, the tip of the sear broke off so now it won't stay in the full cock position. I haven't even fired one shot yet. I took the lock off and determined what the issue was. It was not broken when I bought the rifle.

Today I called Dixie Gun Works to inquire about a replacement part. They only have sears for a left hand model. The lady I spoke with checked with someone she referred to as the "gunsmith" who said they have no other sear that will work with my rifle. They do have a complete replacement lock for $129.95.

Does anyone here have any suggestions? I'm not sure I want to buy a lock unless it is the only solution. :'( 

Offline littlefat

Re: I need help with my new-to-me rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »
I bought one of those back in the mid 80's , a flint kit, used it until a couple years ago when I gave it to a friend of mine, he still uses it. only problem I ever had was the frizzen was real loose when it was open. always was a shooter

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 12:31:35 AM »
With that kind of a response, re the parts, I would get an L&R replacement lock if it comes to getting a whole new lock. No sense buying something that you can't parts for. I would contact the Log Cabin Shop or even Dixon's re a new sear before I replaced anything. There are also a lot of other good shops and gunsmiths out there.
Mark
Mark

Offline elk killer

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 12:32:58 AM »
if you could show me a picture of the lock,,i think i have a sear
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 12:36:15 AM »
Track of the Wolf .com carries a higher quality replacement lock for this rifle made by L&R lock company.

northmn

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 03:11:42 PM »
Depending somewhat on size, but I would think a Siler parts sear or something similar could be modified.  You can buy these out of TOW or other suppliers for much less than a replacement lock.  The lock might be worth the money.

DP

ottawa

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 03:28:04 PM »
i think there was a post in the archives on how to make a sear i while ago or check with the supplier's that have been mentioned if they don't have the right part maybee the might have a sear blank to make a new one with. just my 2cents

TNrifleman

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 02:36:40 AM »
if you could show me a picture of the lock,,i think i have a sear

Elk Killer, I can't post photos, but the lock looks just like the L&R replacement lock that TOTW sells. Lock-LR-04-C for $103. The Log Cabin Shop sells this lock also as their RPL L&R Lock, Percussion, Dixie R.H. #42043.

This rifle is in great shape and I'd really like to get her shooting.

Guys, thanks for the suggestions. At least I do have some options, even if I have to buy the new L&R lock.

northmn

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 04:57:04 PM »
On a cap lock I would try first to modify a sear as all a cap lock has to do is to hit a cap.  Were it a flintlock I would recommend buying a lock.  You could possibly convert also if you wanted.  You could buy an insert to match the nipple threads or re tap the threads to fit an existing insert.

DP

TNrifleman

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 11:12:39 PM »
On a cap lock I would try first to modify a sear as all a cap lock has to do is to hit a cap.  Were it a flintlock I would recommend buying a lock.  You could possibly convert also if you wanted.  You could buy an insert to match the nipple threads or re tap the threads to fit an existing insert.

DP

The thought of converting this rifle to a flintlock is interesting. I'm not sure how to go about it or what I'll need. Would TOTW or another outfit have the needed parts? If I can't find a suitable sear, flint is a good option.

Offline Maven

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 02:06:43 AM »
TNrifleman, I have the same rifle as you, but haven't been thrilled with the Dixie flintlock:  too many failures to fire even with a new vent/touch hole liner.  Even though I've thought about replacing that lock as recommended above, I haven't.  I did, however, get a Dixie percussion lock from a member here, having purchased a drum & nipple earlier.  With the "new" lock the rifle is not only 100% reliable, but accurate as well.  If you can't find the part you need and convert your rifle to a flintlock, Dixie sells a vent [liner] for it for $3.50:  part no. NP0506, 5/16" x 24 thread. 
Paul W. Brasky

northmn

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 02:57:49 PM »
You can guy a 5/16X24 thread insert from TOW and the flintlock both.  The replacement flintolock is a better quality item than the original.  You remove the drum ans replace it with the liner and then bolt in the lock.  Hopefully that is all it would take.  I also have replaced the trigger adjustment screw in a couple of them (a longer one) as they use a shorter one to see to it that one cannot adjust the triggers to fine.  Those that I replaced the screws in definitely were not too fine.

DP

Offline elk killer

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 03:58:14 PM »
TNrifleman,
send me your address and ill send the sear i have,,im 90% sure it will work for you
only flintlocks remain interesting..

TNrifleman

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 04:35:19 AM »
Elk Killer,

PM sent. Thanks! ;D