Author Topic: Touch Hole/Vent Liner Life Expectancy  (Read 3815 times)

fdf

Touch Hole/Vent Liner Life Expectancy
« on: June 23, 2009, 07:03:19 PM »
After how many shots should a touch hole/vent liner be replaced or when is one worn out.  Do most keep a spare on hand?

Thanks

fdf

roundball

Re: Touch Hole/Vent Liner Life Expectancy
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 07:13:58 PM »
After how many shots should a touch hole/vent liner be replaced or when is one worn out.  Do most keep a spare on hand?

Thanks

fdf
Too many variables for there to be a fixed answer of a number of shots...I think if accuracy starts to suffer on a parmanent basis it would be a good time to check it...I've got a few thousand 40-50grn Goex 3F target shots through a few different liners and they all still seem to perform the way they always have...I keep spares on hand in case I drop/loose one while I have it out for cleaning...but so far haven't replaced a liner on any Flintlock in the 10 years I've had some of them

Dave K

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 07:48:22 PM »
Yes, I would keep a spare on hand. But I am guy who has spares for everything. Nothing I hate worse than to be out of commission for lack of $3 part. How long do vents last? I just replaced on in my 50cal. The vent had been in since 2002 and I have no idea how many shots were out through it. But it had wore out to just over .090 and I thought I was seeing accuracy go away, so I changed it, from parts in my "spares" bin.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 08:42:49 PM »
Also depends on how ugly you get with that roughened vent pick ::)

roundball

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 10:52:25 PM »
"...it had wore out to just over .090..."
Would have guessed you'd have started seeing auto-priming with a hole that big...

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 11:50:53 PM »
To replace the liners I use requires something like a vise and an easy-out or tapered square drift with wrench to get the old one out and a  hacksaw to cut off the new ones boss along with filing to get it flush with the barrel flat.  Ham-handed (and fingered) as I am, the area needs re-browning. Replacing a  liner is not something you do at the range. Such is life with what I opine to be the best liners available - Chamber's White Lightening.

Dave K

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 11:54:08 PM »
Would have guessed you'd have started seeing auto-priming with a hole that big...

Yes, I was and it kept people from standing over on my lock side to ask how it was shooting too. ;D