Author Topic: Priming from Main Horn?  (Read 4494 times)

Offline Daryl

Re: Priming from Main Horn?
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2018, 10:06:10 PM »
For that reason, Taylor, who uses one of the brass-tube pan chargers, drilled a relief hole in the side  covering the hole with a glued-on patch of leather. This  to help prevent the charger from becoming a hand-grenade. I merely switched to only using a priming horn with a wooden plug stopper.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline rollingb

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2019, 12:09:46 AM »
He thinks it was a spark in the barrel it was a very low humidity day (very rare in Virginia)and that was the cause.

Mike
If a spark was in the barrel, I would think the main charge should have ignited before he even had a chance to prime the pan.  :o

This incident happened while he was testing a Bailes L&R lock that he was working on for me. Lock was in one hand and charger in the other.  No barrel was involved.
Dennis
Ok,.... I got it now.
The "barrel" mentioned, was the spout on the charger.  :)
Thanks.  :)
http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2019, 08:09:46 PM »
The question remains: How did the spark get in the barrel (if the barrel here is referring to the barrel on the priming flask)?

I used to prime from the main horn.  Then I started asking questions about why one of my flintlocks seemed to have a slightly noticeable delay in ignition - was told that I was stupid for not using FFFFg priming powder.  So I got one of those tiny priming flasks to hang around my neck.

I find the flask to be handy, and tidy since it places the powder in the pan and not all over, so I developed a preference for it. 

So . . . how big do I need to drill the relief hole in order for it to relieve pressure.  It's fairly obvious to a flintlock shooter that a 1/16" hole will not be sufficient to relieve the pressure.

Or could I just score the side of the brass cylinder to make a thin spot on the wall?  Sort of like the seam on the metal powder cans of old.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2019, 08:50:07 PM »
I combine what I think is the best of both worlds. I use a flat priming horn made by Scott Morrison. In my humble opinion there is a small but noticeable speed reaction between using 3F and 4F in the pan. So I carry this small horn in my bag. Due to it's size and shape it is easy to find and makes much less mess in the pan that pouring from the horn; which you will notice is fairly small also.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2019, 11:53:02 PM »
I have 2 small priming horns that I use with 4F goex powder.
When not actively priming the pan, they reside in my bag.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Mick C

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2019, 10:17:43 PM »
He thinks it was a spark in the barrel it was a very low humidity day (very rare in Virginia)and that was the cause.

Mike
If a spark was in the barrel, I would think the main charge should have ignited before he even had a chance to prime the pan.  :o

This incident happened while he was testing a Bailes L&R lock that he was working on for me. Lock was in one hand and charger in the other.  No barrel was involved.
Dennis

All I can think to say to this is, WOW!  I bought one of those brass charger gadgets a long time ago and tried it once or twice before deciding I'd go back to priming from my main horn.  Glad I did now.  Priming form the main horn also reduces the need to carry different grades of powder.   I like keeping things as simple as possible.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

rfd

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2019, 02:52:26 PM »
priming off the main horn is a snap - literally.