Author Topic: Friendship 2009  (Read 14925 times)

Birddog6

Friendship 2009
« on: June 16, 2009, 01:36:10 PM »
I just wanted to comment on what a great time I had at Friendship last weekend. Got to meet some more ML people, see some nice rifles & pick up some parts & etc.

Really enjoyed getting to help Larry Pletcher time some flintlocks on his testing apparatus. That was fun, interesting &  something different. I look forward to seeing the video of them.  Thanks Larry.

As for everyone else I met & talked to there, It was GREAT !  Thank you.   ;D

Keith Lisle

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Friendship 2009
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 02:11:18 PM »
Same here.  I had a great time and enjoyed very much meeting everyone.  Those short get togethers are hard because everyone meets at one time and then breaks up at the same time but it's still good to put faces with names. 
The lock timing was interesting and fun to watch.  You get drawn in by the possibilities and variables that make a lock slow or fast.  Larry is doing the entire muzzleloading community a service with his test results.  Thanks Larry!
I wish I had been able to spend more time with the rifling benches.  It's really neat to see different ways to get to the same results. 
Ken

Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 03:45:22 PM »
Man, I'm sure glad we go early.  You are the 3rd person to make mention of how bad the traffic was.  One of the other mentions came from a bunch of bikers staying at the same hotel in Madison so the flea market folks are suffering as well.  Not much the NMLA can do about that except change the week to miss the flea market but I'd bet the flea market would change there date to match the shoot date. 
I also thought there was an increase in attendance and vending.  Especially across the way on the primitive side.  I've give up on the food vending last year when they were out of french fries on Sat.  We bring coolers with food and go back to the car for a rest, a little socializing and to dream of the guns we are going to build with all the cool wood we bought.  hahaha. 
Ken

Birddog6

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 04:18:57 PM »
Yes, a few things could stand some improvement.   And it is easy to say & not easy to get done, as their help is limited........  but anyway.......

Could use more food venders as it was a good turnout Sat. What they had was fine for Fri. as not many there, but Sat. was a dif game.  Never saw a time when they had Too Many food venders.

They also need  At Least  2 long benches on Each vender row, and there was plenty of room for them.  There are ALLOT of older people there trying to shop the rows & can't cause there is no place for them to rest a spell. 
Old people do have money, ya know ?   ;D   

Also, be nice to have a Empty trash can at the end of each row, as the few that were avail were full when I got the Fri & past overflowing when I left Sat evening. 

Since they changed the location of entry (walking in) be nice if they had a sign you can SEE to guide you. 

Be nice to have a cross walk from the creekside parking to the other side of the road, & a gravel walk all the way from the Parking Lots to the entry gate that is Not on the road or in the mud..  So what, they lose 10' down the side of the parking & up to the vender area,  better than dodging cars every time ya go to the car.

The Primitive side was the best camper turnout & best looking area it has looked in Years..   ;)  Kudos to those guys over there !!   ;)  It looks Great !!

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 07:03:29 PM »
This thread about everything wrong at Friendship comes up every year and it irritates me.  Guys come for one day and gripe about everything that is wrong.

This is a volunteer run event and were it not for a small core of volunteers who use their vacation time every year to put it on, it wouldn't happen.  If you are a member and don't help out, shame on you.  These people give freely of their time and work hard at it while they are there.  How can you help otherwise:
1.  If there aren't enough garbage cans, buy some and donate them, or make a specific donation to be used for that purpose.
2.  If there aren't enough benchs, build some and bring them with you.
3.  As for food, they can't get quality vendors who will stay the whole time.  The logistics of obtaining and storing the food for 9 days is a problem, as well as lodging for the vendors.  There is also the problem of finding help to man it everyday from about 6am to 8 or 9pm everyday.  The one they have works his butt off to provide quality food.  I usually camp there for most of the week and eat exclusively there.  The meals are of high quality and the price very reasonable.

It's always those who help the least that seem to gripe the most, especially over a hot dog.  It's easy enough to walk across the street and get one from the flea market vendors.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline b bogart

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 07:50:56 PM »
I was only there Sunday, but I thought everything was just fine (except the humidity). Sure the trash cans were full, but that indicates a large turn out. I usually pack a lunch for the times I make a day trip out of it, but my buddy bought cheeseburgers on a least a couple of occasions and he had no complaints. I thought it great that the primitive side was just short of full up. I got my supplies, met Curt J (nice guy!), talked with Barbie and headed home. Camping in the fall is tempting.
Thanks NMLRA for a much needed respite from "the world".
Bruce

Dave K

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 08:56:03 PM »
TOF, please don't take it too hard when there is a mention of things that may be different. I know, it isn't possible to shame all those that don't help, but it has to be remembered that there are many that are coming from many, many miles away. They are just happy to make it, There are many more who won't come because of distance. Sometimes their really only help, comes from the dues they pay. I know the food can be a problem. Many of us had become used to the fine cafeteria that was in operation until about 2-3 yrs. ago. So, we were spoiled. No one is thinking of being hurtful to those that make this all happen and we all applaud those that do make it happen. How would anyone know that a change would be appreciated, unless it was mentioned.

I really enjoy meeting the people I talk to all year on the internet. So little time and yet so much we wish to enjoy time with them, even for a breif day. Next year can't come fast enough for some of us. But you don't want to wish all of your tomorrows away too fast either.

Glad to hear the attendance is up. I would be headed back there tomorrow, but usually by Wed., many of the vendors are or will be pulling out. So now it is  back to my books of dreams, until the CLA event and the Fall shoot.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 01:16:32 AM »
TOF,
The thread seems to be a little of the good and the bad but I agree this is not the proper forum to air any gripes with the NMLA.  Best to put them in with my annual renewal check.
Ken

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 01:25:55 AM »
Here's a few pictures.  I hope someone can post some pics of vendors row.  While I was on that side I was busy buying wood and parts.  
1 of the 3 rows of vendors on the primative side

Larry and Birddog6 timing a lock

Rifling benches at Gunmakers Hall

More at Gunmakers Hall

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 01:29:04 AM by Ken Guy »

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 03:46:00 AM »
Only complaint I got is I was short on cash due to my wife's trip to NJ coming up in a couple of weeks. Bought a nice lookin trade style knife, and got the boy one of those cheap "made in India" tomahawks" and he is addicted now. The daughter looked at all the beads, but she is too young yet and I don't know nothin about bead work. Also I felt very compelled to by a chance on the House Bro's rifle, kinda like how I never play the lotto unless the prize is very big.

I went on Monday and there was very little traffic  ;D
Psalms 144

Birddog6

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 05:04:01 AM »
TOF.  What part of this did you not understand ?

Yes, a few things could stand some improvement.   And it is easy to say & not easy to get done, as their help is limited........  

If people don't mention things, there is never any changes or improvements..............

Keith Lisle
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:07:51 PM by Dale H »

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 03:13:27 PM »
Keep it civil, guys.

Dale H

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 03:56:38 PM »
I almost refrained from commenting on this subject.  When I was in the barrel business, I would go to the spring and fall
shoots, all week long, no short stays, and did business almost every day, was a great place to go to do business.....not
so today.    We have not been out there for several years now, hard to just make expenses.  If I remember correctly, the
last times we were there, the booth rent was over $300 per shoot, or nearly $700 for both shoots....that equates into a
nice little sum of money by the vendors, but very little has ever been spent in commercial row.   This is an "International"
shoot....how impressive it must look to a foreigner when he first walks thru the gate.   I know it takes a lot of "volunteer"
help to keep things going, but that should not be the case.  It is being produced by the NMLRA, a national organization.
Where did the money come from to build "Ehlert's Folly" over in the camping area....a huge building sitting there empty.
Oh well, enough grumbling, if you were there, take a few moments to brush the dust, or mud, off your shoes, and remember the good times..............Don

Leatherbelly

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 04:27:15 PM »
  From a shooters stand point,how was it? Still lots of good events to enter? Trailwalks? Never been there.Can someone show pictures of Primitive? Is it fun to camp there for a week? Any in-camp antics?Thx, roy

Plainsman

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 04:35:45 PM »
New to the forum but have been reading for some time.  Drove a thousand plus miles to get there with one of my boys who is getting interested in muzzleloading and we had a good time.  Spent three days there seeing how the real shooters do it.  Enjoyed seeing the variety of differant shooting going on.  Wanted to see some chunk guns in action.  Lots of stuff to see.  Commercial row got some of my money but I got out of there with out getting skinned to bad.  Considered it a researching vacation, about wore out my digital camera and learned alot.  Probably going to try and build a chunk gun after looking at what was shooting down there.
Couple of questions:  Is the fall shoot bigger?  Does anyone have Fred Miller's from PA contact information.  He was recommended by several people for inletting a barrel.

Thanks  TC

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 04:43:50 PM »
Check your email
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Plainsman

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 06:16:51 PM »
Thanks, Dennis

TC

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 04:44:20 PM »
  From a shooters stand point,how was it? Still lots of good events to enter? Trailwalks? Never been there.Can someone show pictures of Primitive? Is it fun to camp there for a week? Any in-camp antics?Thx, roy

Leatherbelly,
There is shooting of EVERY type.  If I try to list them, I'll miss something but here goes:
Trap, sheet, sporting clays, quail walk
Offhand pistol - every type and description-  flint, perc, revolver, unlimited, etc
Offland rifle - every type  based on sights ignition styles, some unliimited, some not
Cross sticks separated by sights and weight
Bench separated by sights , weights, and ignition style
Chunks guns
Silhouettes offhand, ross sticks, long range (to 500yds)
Slug guns
Aggregates on all of the above: example; Mens offhand agg -4 different distances
Flint aggs, all around aggs, Croley match, flint bench agg, open sights, any metalic sights etc.

Daily reentry matches,  trophy matches, juniors, sub-juniors

Primitive side:
Mountain Man agg, Seneca runs, over the log, more I can't think of.

I'm sure this isn't complete, but you get the idea.  THere truely is somtthing for all.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 11:45:51 PM »
Hi Guys,
 It was great to see all of you that I managed to see!  It seems like I'm never in the booth when we are there any more with all my committee/board duties taking up a good chunk of time. 
  Saturday was great as far as crowds go.  It was exciting to see so many people!  Sales I think in general were down a little, but that was to be expected.  It was kind of strange in that over the weekend we did good cash sales, but took only a handful of credit card sales.  This is no complaint on my part (except for a little missing $ of course), I am just glad to see what I hope is more responsible spending taking place.  :)
  Primitive was outstanding!  There were even 3 tipi's there this time!  I remember going to Friendship as a kid and being absolutely fascinated by the tipi's.  This turn out is a direct result of the fabulous job that Leslie Dotson and all the primitive folks have done for the NMLRA over the past three years or so.  The reenactment they have there in May called the Lore of the Laughry is now spilling over into the National shoots - Yeah!!!
  Thanks to you guys with the constructive criticism on the food situation.  I was kind of expecting more complaints about the bathrooms and cleaning than the food.  Dad and I usually eat in the booth, but I did at least get one of the fabulous pork tenderloin sandwiches on Saturday for lunch.  They were a little pricey, but well worth it when you saw the size and tasted the flavor.  All the different food vendors that were there this time have my respect.  I do the food for our local tractor club events every month and it is not as easy as some would think.  Especially for those that were set up in the cafeteria and found themselves without any refrigeration after the first day!  The equipment in there is quite outdated.  Hopefully they wil have a few more things worked out by Fall.
  For those of you that don't know I am on the Board of Directors for the NMLRA so I will gladly report back any complaints/suggestions/ideas directly to the board.  I have to say the past two board meetings have been far better than all other previous ones I've been to and that I have high hopes that there is still hope for the organization's future.  We as a board have taken great steps in preparing for this economic and political environment.  There is always more to do and like TOF says it is run purely by volunteers so I beg a little more patience when complaints come in some times it seems to take forever to make progress when using volunteers.  I could go on and on about how the organization is doing but I think I'll refrain from boring you guys to death and just welcome any questions you may have!
Doing my best for all the rest,
Barbie
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

cheyenne

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 04:54:39 AM »
I still hope to get there one of these days.

straightshooter1

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 04:42:57 PM »
I too am on the Board of Directors.
I welcome any and all dialog from any one at anytime.
The one thing that I, as a volunteer do get irritated about, is those who feel free to criticize and offer no possible resolutions to what they perceive as a problem. If you come to me with possible solutions for these problems, while I may disagree with you, you have opened up a line of dialog. That I welcome, and we can all come together and at least compromise and have a solution.

Anyhow, as Barbie said, the last two BOD meetings have been rather productive in my opinion, and you now have a President that says exactly what he feels, and is decisive in his decisions and acts on them for the good of the ENTIRE Association.
All I ask, is give him a chance. He's only been in the position for 9 months, and already progress is evident.

Thank You for your time.
Rick Repovsch

R Walker

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 11:34:07 PM »
To All, thanks for your comments, constructive or otherwise. I assure you that the Board does read these discussion boards and notes the suggestions.

Don, we miss you guys at Friendship.. ;D.. and "Ron's Folly" was built with nothing but donations. We're looking at a couple of new designs for the interior to make it more usable.

R Walker
1VP/past Treasurer

Offline b bogart

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 01:24:21 AM »
Hey Ralph could it be a temporary dormitory for those that didn't figure on staying, but then decided to?? KIDDING!!! ;)
Bruce

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 01:58:47 AM »
Ralph.....Yes, I know the building went up mainly from money's generated at the gunmakers hall, and I think the original
concept Ron had was a good one, unfortunately, too many problems arose to complete his dream.   Here's an idea that
you could kick around.   There are a lot of good gunbuilders at the two national shoots in Friendship, why not put some
work benches and vises in there and give some gunbuilding classes during the two shoots.....just a thought......Don

Offline b bogart

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 05:59:48 AM »
EXCELLENT IDEA DON!!!!!I'd campfor the week, and pester the heck outta them gunmakers.
Bruce