Author Topic: Between Coats  (Read 869 times)

Offline mountainman

Between Coats
« on: January 14, 2019, 09:20:08 PM »
I know a lot of you guys talk about wet sanding between coats, and I'm sure there are various ways, I think some of you guys use oil with steel wool and then some of you use the finish with steel wool as a way of wet sanding, and then wipe off the excess.
My question is, Is this considered an extra coat when you apply it with the finish, or is that considered something in between??
Just trying to understand the language 🤔
And maybe it's not really all that important but I do know that you have to apply enough coats until it looks like the wood grain is filled, with a nice even look.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Between Coats
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 09:27:50 PM »
On maple, I apply tung oil finish one day apart for applications, until I get what I call an orange peel finish...little bumps.  I cut the finish back until I get to the wood again, and start over.  So in total, 12 to 14 applications of oil.  Each app is just enough to wet the wood - not enough to visibly accumulate.

For walnut, filling the pores is required for a best finish.  After sealing the walnut and letting it cure/dry, I sand the wood with oil and 320 grit paper, until a mud is raised, then move on to another sport and repeat until the until stock is 'mudded'.  Once it dries, and it will take a couple of days, I sand the finish right back down to the wood again.  It may be necessary to repeat in some area that had particularly open grain.  Once the grain is completely filled, I apply light coats of oil, just wetting the wood, until I
'm happy with the finish - usually about six coats.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.