Author Topic: Applying stain and finish to a stock  (Read 1371 times)

KILTED COWBOY

Applying stain and finish to a stock
« on: March 28, 2019, 11:25:01 PM »
Ok another topic for discussion and advice.
When applying stain and finishing oil to the stock how do you keep from messing up the opposite side while it is still wet?
Do you suspend it with some kind of wire? Or do you do one side, let it dry enough to where you don't get prints on it  then do the other side.
Think you would see the line between the two sides?
Sounds like a dopey question, I am sure there is a simple procedure this old cowboy just can't wrap his brain around .

Offline G_T

Re: Applying stain and finish to a stock
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 12:08:38 AM »
Everything I've ever done for finishes - bows more than longrifles but my preference for wood in general - is wipe on, wipe off. I don't leave anything soaking heavy on wood for any length of time. Then I just stand it up somewhere to dry.

Stain is not paint. It may be put on light or heavy, but isn't left wet on the surface to dry out. It gets rubbed back removing all excess, before being allowed to dry.

Oil finishes generally are best put on with many thin coats rather than a few thick ones. Put some oil on a patch, spread it around, rub it in, and do not leave excess. Go over the whole stock that way. Leave it a day to dry, possibly steel wool the surface, clean up any steel wool bits, and repeat.

What was that old saying? Once a day for a week, once a week for a month, then once a month for a year? Lots of thin coats allowed to dry between each, generally gives a much better result than a few thick ones. Thick coats of oil finishes tend not to dry for a very long time and can make a mess.

Sunlight helps cure some of the oil finishes such as those based on linseed oil. Hanging so the stock can spin while lit is not a bad plan, if weather etc are conducive. I understand this can greatly decrease the drying time. I don't have that option here. I tend to use the palm of my hand and rub it in until it gets quite hot. I do not leave any excess on the surface. Personally, I don't want any appreciable surface buildup. I want it built up in the wood.

Gerald

KILTED COWBOY

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 12:44:30 AM »
Thanks I was worried more about the oil finish. Plan on using the Chambers oil finish and the instructions talk about putting first coat on heavy let set for a short time and wipe off what does not penetrate. Guess you are saying whatever prints are on there will come off when you rub it down .

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 01:34:43 AM »
I hang my stocks. I use a partially screwed in buttstock screw, then bend a  piece of stiff wire so it fits tightly around the screw and bend a hook on the other end and this goes over a ring in the ceiling. For the front I use the front pin holes with a wire through them, then bent and twisted together so it will flip back and forth over the muzzle end, the other end is also bent into a hook and goes over another ring in the ceiling. When applying stain or finish I take down the rear wire and hold the screw and apply stain or finish as far as I can before hanging it back up and doing the rest.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Lzymtlsmth

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 02:06:52 AM »
when I apply my stain I do it with a cotton rag until I get the result I'm looking for with a rag you can kinda blend as you know every piece of wood is different and curly open areas are gonna be different this is what I like in a stock . just my opinion. for the finish I flood it then wipe off and let it dry. then another coat not as heavy wipe off and let dry.
pics from a couple ive done.

Offline flehto

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 03:49:29 PM »
When the staining is done and completely dry, I use 0000 steel wool to remove any unabsorbed stain.

2 different finishes are applied  w/ 2 coats each and the first 2 are wipe on/wipe off  and when completely dry the 0000 steel wool is used to remove surface finish. The next 2 coats are applied very thinly w/ the fingers and when  an area is done , that area is fairly dry and doesn't make finger prints....the same w/ m the 2nd application......Fred

KILTED COWBOY

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 08:18:57 PM »
Thanks for everyone's help

Davemuzz

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 12:03:24 AM »