Author Topic: Pistol re-do  (Read 6375 times)

Davemuzz

Re: Pistol re-do
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2019, 07:06:14 PM »
Fat.....but getting skinner! Still...."on a diet".   8)  (Pic on far left was the previous "done".)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2019, 12:57:18 PM »
Dave (I think all named "Dave" should rule the world. Things would be much more stable!),

Thanks for the link. My wife was an art major in college....way back in the day....and focused on making metal jewelry. She knows all about peening flat metals into shapes.

That tutorial is done well. I guess I really need to think about a buttcap.

Dave

Heres a tutorial on how I did it. To get the left and right side of the cup symetrical, it helps to make a model and use it to make the swage block.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6615.0

Best regards
Rolf

Davemuzz

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 04:18:39 PM »
I'm now getting to the point of re-shaping the grip. I don't want to take any more wood away from where the trigger guard is inletted but I can take some thickness off the back.

So, my question is....I'm making the grip width 1.250". What should the approximate depth of the pistol grip be? (Depth = from back of grip to guard inlet. Measured in a perpendicular line from "back" to trigger guard. Is there a "standard" thickness....or even a ratio of width to thickness?

Thanks!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019, 08:09:26 PM »
There is no standard, or formula/ratio.  Originals are all over the map.  Make it to feel good in your hand.  I'm sure that's what the smiths of the 18th C did.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Davemuzz

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 09:21:46 PM »
Thank you!  I believe the profile is good....but I need to remove more wood "at the 4 corners" of the round.....if you understand my saying. It's to "blocky" when I last left it.  >:(

Davemuzz

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2019, 08:04:17 PM »
Workin on the grip.....not there yet!!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2019, 11:01:17 PM »
Careful you don't take to much off the flat parts and when rounded back again, the grip becomes too small.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Davemuzz

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2019, 01:44:06 AM »
Thanks Daryl. I filed down the grips (flat part) to get the width that I wanted. 1.250"  I then began to file another flat on the inside corners as the existing grip was to bulky.

I can never be reminded to much to "don't over do it". OTOH....I don't want to end up with a bulky grip again. I think I have a good plan of attack this time.

BTW, I bought a new breech plug and via a grinder for the bulk stuff, and then a tedious filing with a good polish when I got the new breech plug fitted to the barrel. I inletted the tang to a straight back and it worked out well. For the offset screw I drilled and glued in a dowel rod to get rid of the offset screw hole, and then re-drilled a new tang hole and screw hole. Worked out well.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 01:47:46 AM by Davemuzz »

Davemuzz

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2019, 11:05:56 PM »
I fitted the new tang.....even drilled the hole center this time!!  I'm going with the square back tang as this walnut is somewhat picky with small cuts. Even after a fresh stropping of my chisels. This looks better.....not perfect, but better. I am now in the process of removing that "block top" look from the first go-around.

Davemuzz

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2019, 02:01:58 AM »
Slowly getting closer to where I want. But still much work yet to do.

Davemuzz

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2019, 04:29:27 PM »
A question for you pistol build guys is this: I currently do NOT have a screw installed in the grip section of the trigger guard. The guard is pinned in two places and that secures it quite well. However, I'm thinking of installing a screw through the trigger guard on the grip side as that should (I think?) help in providing more strength to the grip itself.

I know that when I load this pistol, I never place the pistol grip on a hard surface when seating a PRB, for my concern of placing continued stress on the grip wood, which may ultimately lead to a cracked grip.

Any thoughts or input on this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Dave

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2019, 05:25:36 AM »
Dave,
I can’t help you with your above question, but just wanted to say that the pistol is looking so much better. Good work!  It’s starting to look slim! 

Can’t wait to see the result.

Norm.
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Pennsylvania Dutchman

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2019, 05:44:21 AM »
That is coming along very nicely! The new tang looks good as well! Do you still have a little bit of a hump just behind the end of the tang, or is it just the photo?
Mark
Mark Poley

Offline Daryl

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2019, 06:09:53 AM »
Yes - cleaning up that hump by bending down the end of the tang and re-inletting it should clean up that inlet as well.
Daryl

Davemuzz

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2019, 03:38:58 PM »
Thank you for your comments!! 

Hump??   ;D  Yeah....the hump hasn't met the file yet. It's next. I'm working on the tang to side plate and then the hump is next.

I've got some ugly wood to metal gaps along the tangs side and one small one at the rear. I'm going to insert some wood slivers to close those gaps as well.

I still have a ways to go to get it where I think it needs to be....but I have time and I'm not rushing anything.

I did decide to install a screw as the original Kentucky's had them, and I think it will help or assist in the strength of the grip.

Dave

Davemuzz

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2019, 07:09:39 PM »
Getting "closer".....AKA...I can see the finish line!!!

I took a few pics of the pistol completely re-assembled. At this point, I have a few minor things to do. Sanding off where my big paw prints got some dabs of Accuraglass (yes.....bedding was a must here) and I need to trim a few pins and patina the screw heads.

The pistol functions great....in fact better than before. Before the fix the lock plate was lower on one end than the other and when I tightened the screws it would bind the mainspring and the frizzen would not completely open because not enough force was striking it. That problem is now solved.

I also think my sights are much too high. The "new" front sight in brass has made the height really stand out. I'm going to file the rear sight down by .100, and accordingly the front sight down by the same amount. I did leave about .050 more on the front sight that the original front sight.....just to have some wiggle room to file\adjust it.

I know it's far from perfect. OTOH it's my fix of my first build. Better than it was but not perfection. I like it even with all it's flaws!!!  I'll post the final when I have several coats of finish on it.

Here are a few pics of the original build for comparison:

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 01:29:39 AM by Davemuzz »

Offline Mick C

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2019, 07:29:21 PM »
Looking great!!  I'm enjoying watching your progress.
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Pennsylvania Dutchman

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2019, 12:24:57 AM »
Looking very nice. Well done. I would round the end of the forend a little more to take off some of the squareness.
Mark
Mark Poley

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2019, 01:07:25 AM »
As Penn Dutchman said, take out the squareness of the bottom of the fore-end.

Norm.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 01:16:57 AM by Chowmi »
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Davemuzz

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2019, 01:28:20 AM »
Chowmi.......are you looking at the pictures at the top.....the "after" pic's....or at the bottom....the "before pics"?  The finial at the front of the lock plate use to be about 1". It's now maybe 1/8".

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2019, 02:42:25 AM »
Chowmi.......are you looking at the pictures at the top.....the "after" pic's....or at the bottom....the "before pics"?  The finial at the front of the lock plate use to be about 1". It's now maybe 1/8".

You are correct. I wrote it, then looked at it again and tried to edit it and delete that bit before you saw it! 
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2019, 02:45:03 AM »
Ok. I am now looking at the “new” pictures, I’m pretty sure...
Have a look at the bottom of the stock between the front of the trigger guard and the rr entry pipe. I think that needs some work.
Sorry, dinner is calling, no time to elaborate.......

Norm.
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Davemuzz

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2019, 04:01:13 PM »
Now that I stare at the pic of the bottom I think I see what you're saying. That area between the PG and the RR entry pipe could use a little more slimming. Also, staring at the pics I see the side plate finial needs a little better shaping to match the lock plate side.

Davemuzz

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2019, 04:24:26 PM »
DONE!!  Perfect? Not so much. I had mistakes to "start" with and I attempted to fix those that I could or desired to. It's now a much better pistol than it was. It's also a hunting pistol which means it will get banged up a bit from going thru what I put my hunting firearms into. I'm pleased with it. I only had time to post these 3 pic's this am.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2019, 09:16:05 PM »
That looks a lot better, Dave.
Daryl