General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

Looking for sheath eyedears

(1/3) > >>

Clark Badgett:
Picked up a nice trade type knife at friendship and desire to make an appropriate 18th century style sheath for it. I want it to be correct for a white man, and not of indian influence. I should state up front I am not very skilled in leather work yet, but I can do the basics.

D. Taylor Sapergia:
I think it would be pretty hard to make a mistake.  There are quite a number of knives depicted in the three Accoutrement Books, many with sheathes.  Some are fancy, but many are what might have been made by a relatively unskilled outdoorsman.

Clark Badgett:
So I guess a plain one piece style with a loop is fairly correct.

D. Taylor Sapergia:
Sure - stitched or harness rivets or both - is not wrong.  Not fancy, but correct.

JCKelly:
A century late for what you want, but I have my own question. How does one make a sheath with the seam along the side, rather than sewn around the edges as are all modern sheaths? My example of the seam I'm talking about is the sheath of this Sheffield Bowie knife. There is a belt loop sewn to the other side, mountings are German Silver (the old stuff, not the whiter modern Nickel Silver of somewhat different chemistry).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version