Author Topic: Original Pouch and Contents from Harrison Co, Indiana  (Read 7000 times)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: Original Pouch and Contents from Harrison Co, Indiana
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2019, 04:47:22 AM »
Is there any indication of where a tongue or small tab that would tuck into the 'patch' on the front was sewn on?   It doesn't appear from the pics that it is stretched.
Cheers,
R

I don't see any stitching holes or other evidence of a tongue or tab being sewn on to the flap.  The flap seems nicely shaped, so I don't think it had an integral tongue that was torn or rotted off.  Could have been trimmed away I suppose, but if so, why.

Here's a couple of closer shots of the bag flap.
Outside of flap.

Inside of flap

-Ron
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 04:55:19 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2019, 05:28:13 AM »
I am going to go out on a limb here.  I believe those side gussets were bottom ends of the strap.  When the strap went bad, they cut it off flush with the bag, and riveted on the new strap to the rear.  Often hard to sew a new strap onto an existing bag, but very easy to rivet a new one on.  The bag construction looks too nice for the maker to have used a single rivet strap attachment originally.  That is why the gussets are so small - they are not gussets for volume, but for strap attachment. 

Based on my friend Jim Webb's advice, I made a mountain pouch with two gussets like this for strap attachment.  Makes for a nice, balanced way to hang the bag.  Much better than rear straps in my humble opinion.  Here is my pigskin bag #6 with these gussets. 

Just my 2 cents worth.  I am no expert.  God Bless,   Marc

Marc,
If you are out on a limb then I am alreasy sitting there waiting on you ; ) I have seen that on a couple of original bags. They were small later period Appalachian affairs. I have also seen those side gussets folded over on one bag and stitched back to make a loop on each side of the bag.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 05:39:07 AM by James Rogers »

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2019, 05:32:03 AM »

Neat old bag! I used that gusset configuration on some bags back in "the day" and have seen it on a few other old bags I've come across. It makes for a clean looking bag. Don't know why I haven't done it recently. It's classy.

I have never seen a hunting pouch with two side gussets before this. Despite that, it didn’t stop me from attempting one a year or two ago: http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2017/08/shot-pouch-by-eric-ewing-with-powder.html

I found that it was hard for me to execute, and the results were a different and cool looking bag, but overall it seemed impractical as the side gussets were a lot of work for not a whole lot of extra room compared to a full gusset, which is just a little bit more work if you’ve already done the sides. That was my experience...
What say you James?

Eric, I really liked that bag!! I bet it would have been more roomy and less work to complete had the gusset ran to the top and not closed out again. That said, I still like it they way it was done ; )
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 05:37:52 AM by James Rogers »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2019, 05:37:08 AM »
Marcruger,

Interesting hypothesis on the side gussets, but they don't appear to have been a part of a shoulder strap.  I gave the bag a closer inspection this evening and found the one remaining complete gusset is a little over an inch wide at the widest, but it tapers down to about 1/4" wide and ends at the top of the bag.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2019, 05:40:44 AM »
This particular bag may have just stopped the gusset at the entry. Then as now there are a thousand ways to skin a cat.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2019, 06:27:12 PM »
"Interesting hypothesis on the side gussets, but they don't appear to have been a part of a shoulder strap.  I gave the bag a closer inspection this evening and found the one remaining complete gusset is a little over an inch wide at the widest, but it tapers down to about 1/4" wide and ends at the top of the bag."

I have been wrong before, and will be in the future.  Apparently I am pretty skilled at being wrong.  :-)  Thank you for the additional photos and descriptions.  God Bless,  Marc

Offline Curly Bean

• Starting Member
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2019, 08:31:39 PM »
I was wonderful to hold that piece of history in my hand. To see the patch material with the cutouts lets the imagination wonder what the owner shot  with that loading.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2019, 09:30:58 PM »
Would be really neat to get a short starter and bullet board to replace those that would have originally been with the bag’s contents.

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2019, 11:35:21 PM »
Would be really neat to get a short starter and bullet board to replace those that would have originally been with the bag’s contents.

Now that's a hoot !  ;D

Online Dave Marsh

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2019, 12:37:54 AM »
Certainly is!!!!    :)
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2019, 11:04:20 AM »

With a sheet of patch material showing signs of  patches having been cut at the muzzle, what makes you think there would be a "bullet board" originally to the bag and equipment with it? I believe the bag and contents predate 1970.

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2019, 03:53:46 PM »
Maybe the patch material was pre-cut at the board  :o

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2019, 04:05:52 AM »
I will have the bag and contents at the Lake Cumberland Show.  Stop by and take a look.

-Ron
Ron Winfield