Author Topic: Removing rust with molasses  (Read 4483 times)

grizg

Re: Removing rust with molasses
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 06:21:40 AM »
Not quite relevant but I used to clean decades old filthy used aluminium engine and gearbox blocks, cases etc. by boiling them in a strong washing powder solution in a bucket. Came out like new. These days people spend money to use expensive blasting machines.

Reminds me of the time my brother and I washed a motorcycle engine in my mom's dishwasher. It worked quite well. She was not amused.  >:(

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2019, 10:45:07 PM »
When I was growing up, mama had an iron clad rule; you put molasses on something, you eat it!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline G_T

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2019, 11:17:51 PM »
Some mention was made of Vinegar earlier. In jewelry work it is one of the substitute safer pickle solutions. But, salt is added to the vinegar. It speeds the action up. I use citric acid though, at my bench. Vinegar fumes can rust the stuff nearby.

Gerald

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2019, 01:43:32 AM »
Vinegar fumes can rust the stuff nearby.
Gerald

So does flashing black powder in the shop when testing a lock.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Longknife

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2019, 06:09:24 PM »
All this info about removing rust has me thinking, I have a couple of original M-Loading barrels that have strong pronounced rifling but are dark in the grooves,,,,maaaaybe I could fill the barrels with a solution of remover to clean those grooves??? What do you think,,,,????? ,,,Ed   
Ed Hamberg

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2019, 06:37:49 PM »
I have used Evaporust for cleaning up rust, dark, rifling. But, I would not use other rust removing products, since most of them attack the metal along with the rust. As for molasses, that’s just hillbilly silly in my book. With all the products designed to remove rust, why would you use something that isn’t?

Hungry Horse

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2019, 12:43:11 AM »
All this info about removing rust has me thinking, I have a couple of original M-Loading barrels that have strong pronounced rifling but are dark in the grooves,,,,maaaaybe I could fill the barrels with a solution of remover to clean those grooves??? What do you think,,,,????? ,,,Ed   

I think that would be a good start but have found that dark rifling means the barrel needs to be freshed out to shoot better than 3” at 35 yards.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Longknife

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2019, 08:37:20 PM »

I think that would be a good start but have found that dark rifling means the barrel needs to be freshed out to shoot better than 3” at 35 yards.

Yeah probably should send it to you!!!!!!!
Ed Hamberg

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2019, 11:52:14 PM »
Ya never know until you start cleaning an old barrel up. I just finished freshing an old long .32 Leman barrel. It had no nasty pits at all but was rough as a cob and tight in the middle.

Unbreeching and checking the powder chamber tells a lot. If strong rifling does not extend all the way to the breechplug, it’s going to be a lot of work because that barrel has been shot a LOT.
Andover, Vermont

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2019, 12:02:56 AM »
I have used Evaporust for cleaning up rust, dark, rifling. But, I would not use other rust removing products, since most of them attack the metal along with the rust. As for molasses, that’s just hillbilly silly in my book. With all the products designed to remove rust, why would you use something that isn’t?...

Well sir, I use vinegar for derusting (anything I can soak in it) because it's cheap, safe and I always have some on hand. Works in a day or three at most and also makes files cut like new again. Saves me the hassle of sending 'em off to have "proper" products used upon them.  I don't leave vinegar baths uncovered because one of our chemists here said that the "vapor pressure" is very low and the vinegar will lose strength to the atmosphere (evidenced by causing rust on nearby objects-as noted in this thread).

I don't think I'll try molasses because I'd have to go buy some and dilute it, and wash it off without making a sticky mess, and fight the ants if they get a whiff of it.  :P 

So long as cheap and safe works, I've got no reason spend money on products-some of which I've been disappointed with in the past. Vinegar hasn't let me down yet.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Jesse168

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2019, 10:17:51 PM »
Get some lye and add it to water in a big pot outside.  Place pot over a good fire and let it boil.  That lye will take everything off what ever metal you put in the pot.  After the fire dies down let it set till the next day.  If your parts not completely clean start the fire up again and add some more lye.
Tennessee Hunter Safety Instructor since 1973
Desoto Lodge # 299 F&AM PM