Author Topic: NMLRA Gunsmithing Seminar at Western Kentucky June 3-12  (Read 2956 times)

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
NMLRA Gunsmithing Seminar at Western Kentucky June 3-12
« on: June 20, 2009, 01:11:01 AM »
Although I was unable to attend this year, I hear the seminar went well.

There were two 3-day classes: Mark Silver on stock preparation and finishing and Ron Scott on sheet and wire inlay; three 6-day classes: Mark on engraving, Ron on relief carving, and Jim Chambers on lock assembly and tuning; and there were two 9-day classes: Jack Brooks on stocking a Lancaster style rifle and Wallace Gusler on stocking an early Shenandoah Valley rifle.

All the classes were full until one student injured his ankle and couldn't make the trip. Registration was actually better than I expected in these hard times.

I hope by posting this it will encourage some of the students to post some pictures and for the rest of you to start thinking about attending in 2010.

Gary

"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: NMLRA Gunsmithing Seminar at Western Kentucky June 3-12
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 01:38:15 AM »
Gary
Sorry,I took hundreds of pics of guns but none of the class ??? ??? As always I had a great time and am suffering from severe information overload.I highly recommend these classes for anyone that is interested.It's a great opportunity to study originals and learn from some of the best !!

Gary,a big thanks to you for organizing the seminars,your work is most appreciated.

Mitch

brokenflint

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 04:44:00 AM »
Gary   email with pics of mark's and jack's class   Broke

Michael

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 01:49:57 PM »
Gary,

The classes were great!!!!!

I enjoyed the wire/inlay class, it was the first time I attempted to do wire inlay work. After I got into the rhythm of stamping in the grove for the wire it went pretty fast.

I cut out my cheekpiece star with a cold chisel rather then a jewelers saw and it was somewhat labor intensive. I'm sure I was not doing it the way you would have done it, missed your instruction. I will say that my Quaker stock was the hardest and densest piece of maple I have ever worked!! I finished it with number 4 cut file and raised the grain one time and the wood had a shine like it was burnished when it was done.
Ron did a great job teaching the class, he had some pictures of the Jaeger rifle he is going to offer next year; I think I may give it a try.

Mark did an outstanding job with the engraving class. I can finally sharpen a graver correctly!!!! That in itself was worth the cost of the class. Several of Marks former students dropped in to check on our' hotdog' engraving progress. I will say than the airconditioning worked very well in his room, I almost went out and bought a long sleeve shirt to stay warm.

Wallaces seminars on Virginia rifles were fantastic there was more information than I can remember. I left with information overload hope he gets the book published.

Hope you are feeling better we missed you company.

Michael

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 03:17:07 AM »
Gary we all missed you being at the seminar. I hope things are well with you and hope to see you there next year.

I took a lot of pictures of the rifles but none of any of the classes, I ment to but just did not take the time.

I attended Walaces class and it was great, Walace did a great job and he always give a ton of info that you can not get anywhere else.

Gary thanks for all you do and have done in getting the seminars together.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"