General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

Fowler Bag

(1/3) > >>

David Rase:
Now that I have my Tulle up and shooting I would like to put together a bag and horn for the gun.  My question is for a smoothbore setup, do you guys like a larger bag that houses accessories for both roundball and shot, a double bag, a separate bag for roundball and a separate bag for shot, or a smaller bag that when you want to shoot shot you grab a separate shot snake or shot bag.  I am trying to come up with something and am looking for some input from the forum.
DMR

Leatherbelly:
  Hi Dave,
   I've tried several types for my fowler.I bought a commercial type by Leatherman that was nice but too big,felt like I was lugging a suitcase. Sold it and bought a  nice shapely double bag from a chap from Idaho (Marilyn Crandal brought some to Heffley Cr. last year). As with new bags, I find myself fumbling for stuff but this double is working out just fine. I shoot mainly roundball but when shot is needed, I'll get myself a shot snake that has its own shoulder rig separate from the bag.  Hope this helps.

Tim Crosby:
 I am in the planning stages on a fowler and as usual I have the cart before the horse in mind. I have a pattern for a double bag it is large, 9" high, 8" at the opening and bellows out to 9" at the bottom.  I plan on using one compartment for shot components and the other for ball. As for carring shot I am looking for a matched set of horns or something very close to make a double horn form, powder on one side shot on the other. I am thinking a hunting set up.
 Anyway that's my plan, there are a always lots of possibilities.

Tim C.    

G. Elsenbeck:
Like Tim, I'm sort of in the same wagon.  I recently finished a double for myself that should be fine for my future fowler activity.  I also would include a shot snake, either as a strap rig or attach to the existing bag strap.  I'm also interested in making a fowler bag ala the 'kidney shape' having double pockets to the front to handle the shot components keeping the main bag area for ball and etc.   Should be easier to grab what I need without fumbling trying to load for a follow up shot (yeah ,right lol).   For a day's hunt for cottontails or grouse in the fall the bag shouldn't be so large that its cumbersome and at least with a shot snake, it would hope to help balance out the weight.
Gary

David Rase:
Chip Kormas was up at my place this morning picking up a barrel and stock and we were discussing a fowler bag.  He also said use a double bag.  Looks like there is a recurring theme here.  Thanks for the feedback.  I look forward to more thoughts and ideas.
DMR

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version