Author Topic: Falkenberry juice  (Read 6233 times)

Offline Dave Tercek

• Starting Member
Falkenberry juice
« on: February 16, 2019, 08:07:29 PM »
I was talking to a friend last night. He is an avid black powder deer hunter. Years ago he used a patch lube called Falkenberry juice ,said it was the best stuff ever made. He ordered it from a shop in Idaho . Is it still around, or is there anything similar to it that he can try ?
Thanks,  Dave

Offline Daryl

Re: Falkenberry juice
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 11:44:18 PM »
Well, if it was the best you could ever use, it must have been Marmot Oil - from inside the cavity.
Just joshing yoiu, I've never heard of Falkenberry Juice, but the best hunting lube I've every used,
better than bear grease and bear oil, is Marmot oil.
The marmot oil I had was from "Hoary" Marmots from the top of Hudson's Bay Mountain in Smithers BC.
They are protected now, but I suspect rock chucks and ground hog fat, tried out by double boiler, would
likely work just as well.
Track's mink oil is also VERY good & easily obtained.
In my .32, the 50th shot taken loaded easier than the first in the clean bore - no wiping needed during the 50 or 55/60 shots taken that day.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 11:48:36 PM »
Falkenberry juice sounds like an ingredient used for baking a falkenberry pie!  :o
Don't think I ever et a falkenberry.  ???
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Maven

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 02:05:04 AM »
Falkenberry juice was touted as an excellent patch lube years ago.  Sam Fadala mentioned it often.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline alacran

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 04:01:29 PM »
We had a couple of fellows that swore by that stuff. Thought they were going to have a heart attack when they quit making it. I never knew why it was so dear to them. Their shooting never enticed me to try it.  Bear oil is my choice. Tracks mink oil next.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 06:44:09 PM »
 My advice would be to quit searching for “magic beans”to make you shoot better, and spend that freed up time on the range. I you get started searching for “magic bean” you will never be totally satisfied, and waste a ton of precious time. Been there, done that.

Hungry Horse

Offline Dave Tercek

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 07:11:26 PM »
According to my buddy, the claim to fame wasn't the shooting characteristics but the fact that he could shoot 50 rounds without cleaning the barrel.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 08:20:13 PM »
According to my buddy, the claim to fame wasn't the shooting characteristics but the fact that he could shoot 50 rounds without cleaning the barrel.

You can say that about any liquid patch lube.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 10:31:17 PM »

You can say that about any liquid patch lube.

Exactly - for us, it's water, spit, Track's mink Oil, bear's oil, LHV, Hoppe's #9 Plus, Mr. Flintoock's lube, Neetsfoot Oil,- probably a few others I can't remember - lol - oh yeah -  WWWF

by itself or with Neetsfoot Oil. Oh yeah- used Windex by itself once and it also worked.  Birchwood Casey's Black something concentrate- it also worked mixed as recommended with water.

Did I mention water?   ;D

Seems anything water soluble will work, including Ballistol. The ballistol is not necessary as ordinary water works. We use Winter Windshield Washer Fluid + a tich of Neetsfoot Oil as a

winter patch lube as the alcohol in the WWWF prevents it from freezing. We add the oil as when mixing up a batch, as in a quart or gallon as I do, it lasts a full year or two. The oil slows the

evapouration in the summer time.  That is the only reason for the oil.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:36:47 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 10:35:06 PM »
You mentioned water but shouldn't have mentioned Mink Oil. ;)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 10:40:26 PM »
?? - it's one of the best hunting lubes. I rate it even better than Neetsfoot Oil.  In my .32, the 50th shot loads easier than the first - NO wiping.

That is for the benefit of Dave.

If you use a good combination, you never have to wipe while shooting and your accuracy will remain constant.  I should qualify that statement.  If

15 minutes to 30 minutes is going to pass before you reload, you might want to wipe, as-do all target shooters who have to shoot under that situation.

As we do not have to wait to load, we go ahead and load, no wiping.
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 10:43:01 PM »
I agree but it's not a liquid and shouldn't be on a liquid list. :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 10:31:46 PM »
You're right- the greases should not be listed, no matter how good they are. shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :-X
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 10:35:14 PM »
When I first saw the title of the thread I thought it was some strange berry I had never heard of. Dummy me.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 10:57:17 PM »
When I first saw the title of the thread I thought it was some strange berry I had never heard of. Dummy me.

You're not the only one, OMM.

Offline retired fella

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 11:07:25 PM »
hanshi,

and i'll bet the taste of the pie would leave much to be desired too. :P :P

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 09:32:40 PM »
I'll bet Faulkenberry is just a pc way to say F'nberry.  Someone had a good imagination.  The bottom line...it is not magic or rocket surgery.  There are lots of great patch lubes and they all work well.  If there is a secret, it is this:  how to convince shooters that a soft lead ball .005" to .010" smaller than the bore, a tough cotton patch of between .015" and .025", and a decent charge of black powder, will shoot accurately, and load easily with a hickory rod all day long without cleaning? 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 09:48:16 PM »
Ever thought of this?

If using a soft ball and a tight patch. You're making the ball oblong when loading? How else would it fit?

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 10:56:42 PM »
OMM, I guess that's why I've never been able to hit any target I aimed at; I know it's not me.  ::)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 11:16:33 PM »
Ever thought of this?

If using a soft ball and a tight patch. You're making the ball oblong when loading? How else would it fit?

Absolutely - that is how I know the shape of a .457" ball and .022" patch, the normal loading I used in that Bauska deep grooved barrel.
Slightly rounded on the top surface, perfectly round on the bottom and a slight, elongated section in the middle - well marked by the lands
& grooves.
I punched in (short starter) the .457" (yes .457") ball with a long strip of denim, then gathered up the 'tails' and pulled it back out.  Elongated slug it was
and it shot just fine in the 48" twist Bauska barrel.
Here's the first offhand 5-shot 25 yard target shot with this ball and patch, after sighting in. Only 3 ball-cuts are visible. Likely 1976 - or 77.

Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 01:12:53 AM »
I didn't say it wouldn't be accurate. It would probably round out in flight.

What i'm thinking is if a really tight load is squashing the ball into an oblong shape. Why wouldn't a bit looser load that doesn't squash the ball be as accurate? As long as it's tight enough to fill the grooves.

Offline Hefner

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 04:16:23 AM »
Falkenberry Juice was available to us in Arizona during the 1980's.  IIRC it was pink in color and soapy/slippery and watery.  It could have been pink windshield washing fluid.  I think it was made or distributed from somewhere in Florida. I used it and liked it for target shooting in the dry desert of the Phoenix area.  I used Hoppe's #9 plus when I couldn't get the "JUICE".
Steve Hefner

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 07:58:18 AM »
I didn't say it wouldn't be accurate. It would probably round out in flight.
What i'm thinking is if a really tight load is squashing the ball into an oblong shape. Why wouldn't a bit looser load that doesn't squash the ball be as accurate? As long as it's tight enough to fill the grooves.

The elongated balls were now bullets and shot just fine in the 48" twist. they didn't round out, they were already round in shape, but elongated is all. Same thing happened in that .36 Sharon barrel I had that I used .375" balls in. I tried .350's and .360's but the .375's (all with a .022" denim patch) were more accurate.

I had to use the larger .457" ball in this .45 Bauska - I  thought, due to the depth of the rifling at .028". That made it .504" groove to groove. This was the dark ages of education - the .70's, where I was learning the accuracy of these guns when bore and groove filling loads were used, along with appropriate powder charges. I learned that with tight loads that stood up to the pressures and speeds of heavier loads, that those heavier loads were more accurate than lighter loads with looser combinations.  I learned that those loose combinations shot best with very weak loads because any more powder would destroy the patch completely. I read and re-read Ned Robert's cap-lock book, finally comprehending what was needed to shoot hard and accurately and NOT have to wipe the bore during a day's shooting.

As to my .50 Getz bl, with the narrow deep rounded rifling and wider lands, I use the .495" ball and a .022" patch. It doesn't quite go to the bottom of the grooves, but is snug enough to not allow fouling buildup, so no wiping while shooting and loading never gets hard.

I/we use tight loads so we never have to wipe the bore while we're shooting because the bore literally gets wiped, every time we shove a patched ball down.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 08:06:33 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 04:23:26 PM »
The best stuff ever made? Boy, there sure are a lot of patch lubes that are “the best stuff ever made”.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 05:20:44 PM »
I agree but it's not a liquid and shouldn't be on a liquid list. :)

While primarily a greasy paste style lube, it is often a liquid when you use it in the deep South during the summer.  Open a tin that's been on the shooting bench for a while on a typical 90o F plus summer day and it will pour out.  Works just fine even then however.  Just soak a few patches in it, squeeze out the excess between your thumb and forefinger and you're ready to go with some pre-lubed patches.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer