Author Topic: Falkenberry juice  (Read 6225 times)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Re: Falkenberry juice
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 06:32:09 PM »
I always thought that traditional muzzleloading means swabbing. I don't mind swabbing.

Trying to take away what's traditional reminds me how we got the modern muzzleloaders and the modern powder and bullets. Use BH 209 and you never need to swab while shooting. Putting scopes on sidelocks and shooting modern bullets in them makes me barf.

I guess i'm different? I like the old ways and swabbing is part of that. I'm not looking to make it easier. I accept it for what it is.

Just my personal opinion. Others are free to do as they please. Just keep in mind that what you think is better may not be to everybody.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 09:02:00 PM »
Ned Robert's book, The Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle makes note that a properly loaded rifle could be shot all day without having to wipe the bore.

That is what I used as the goal. It was easily met, btw, just by using tighter loads & learning what was needed for a crown - something between a

false muzzle and a sharp muzzle. As he was writing about his own adolescence and was taught by his old Uncle Alvaro who fought in the Civil War,

I figured that was traditional enough.  I do mind swabbing as it is not necessary - I'd rather be shooting or talking - or is it talking and then some shooting?

If you want to go back far enough into tradition, you can shoot a hand-gonne.  No patch, needed - no swabbing, either just use smaller rocks. ;)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 10:51:35 PM »
I like that idea. Rocks are cheap. :)

Skinny Ol Swabbing Pete

rfd

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 02:45:50 AM »
I always thought that traditional muzzleloading means swabbing. I don't mind swabbing.

Trying to take away what's traditional reminds me how we got the modern muzzleloaders and the modern powder and bullets. Use BH 209 and you never need to swab while shooting. Putting scopes on sidelocks and shooting modern bullets in them makes me barf.

I guess i'm different? I like the old ways and swabbing is part of that. I'm not looking to make it easier. I accept it for what it is.

Just my personal opinion. Others are free to do as they please. Just keep in mind that what you think is better may not be to everybody.

hear hear!  works for me, too, OMM!

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2019, 04:07:42 AM »
Swabbing RFD

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2019, 08:52:10 PM »
Isn't a swabby a drunk sailor?
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2019, 09:51:53 PM »
Hic*

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2019, 10:02:37 PM »
Every time I see this subject I think of a fresh baked Falkenberry and Rhubarb pie.  Local store has the rhubarb but no one seems to carry those Falkenberries!!!  They look at me cross eyed when I ask if they have any..... :) ;) :D ;D

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Daryl Pelfrey

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2019, 02:44:05 AM »
Try mutton talow probably miss spelled. I need to get some more. Not a nice fragrance but great patch lube.

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2019, 07:36:01 PM »

I always thought a "Swabby" was a sailor of such low rank his main job was mopping the deck.  But then again that was only what I thought.  Maybe an "Ex Swabby" will chime in?

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2019, 08:03:10 PM »

I always thought a "Swabby" was a sailor of such low rank his main job was mopping the deck.  But then again that was only what I thought.  Maybe an "Ex Swabby" will chime in?

It could be but mostly it just means a sailor.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2019, 11:16:35 PM »
Most of these concoctions of old died because something in the original formula became unavailable, or was toxic. One of the best cleaning products of the past had antifreeze as a main ingredient, which made the warning label bigger than the bottle. Same thing for a couple of really great browning solutions that had mercury in them.

Hungry Horse

Offline duca

...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline emmagee

« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2023, 01:47:54 AM »
Oh, I remember this. It was named for John Falkenberry of Old Town, FL who hosted the FL state shoot in the early to mid '70's.

Oak gun shop was owned by the late Clint Oak. (Florida)

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2023, 08:19:27 AM »
How many hundreds of lubes I’ve read on here and elsewhere that were ALL the best “I’ve ever used” according to the authors.

What a bunch of nonsense. The whole “best magic lube ever” fares is a blight on this fine hobby. Utter waste of time and ridiculous snake oil worship.

Offline old george

« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2023, 10:59:18 AM »

It could be but mostly it just means a sailor.
You mean that derogatory term for a fine upstanding North American Blue Jacket?

old george
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Offline duca

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2023, 02:56:14 PM »
Oh, I remember this. It was named for John Falkenberry of Old Town, FL who hosted the FL state shoot in the early to mid '70's.

Oak gun shop was owned by the late Clint Oak. (Florida)
Very interesting, thanks for posting this. Tried looking him up..
Can’t seam to find anything on him
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2023, 06:25:44 PM »
Did Davy Crockett swab at the Alamo?............Probably after shooting at 20 of the enemy and during a lull in the fighting.  I'd say he would have to after a while in that dry area. But more important would have been to use a quick loading smoothbore musket with bayonet in that situation.
Would the rifleman concentrate on the guy's charging way in the back and the musket guys shoot at the ones closest to the fort?

Back to the subject. Sam Fadala always commented on the Falkenberry juice back in the eighties until I gagged every time, I read the word.

Bob

Offline TDM

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2023, 02:09:05 AM »
Had never heard of Falkenberry juice lube before, I'll add that to my list of other things I missed out on.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2023, 08:24:41 AM »
How many hundreds of lubes I’ve read on here and elsewhere that were ALL the best “I’ve ever used” according to the authors.

What a bunch of nonsense. The whole “best magic lube ever” fares is a blight on this fine hobby. Utter waste of time and ridiculous snake oil worship.

Interesting hypothesis.  We all have favourites that work for us. I've never heard anyone claim that the lube they use, is the "best magic lube ever".
Daryl

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2023, 05:49:17 AM »
Steve Hefner was correct about the "Juice".  It came in a plastic squeeze bottle and was a red colored concentrate that could be diluted to the pink color he mentioned.  IT worked good, although don't know about the best ever label.  May even have a bottle in the back of my shop somewhere that has long ago evaporated.  Hi Steve.

Offline Wil

• Starting Member
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2023, 02:09:56 PM »
Falkenberry Juice is all but a memory to me now. I am sitting here trying to remember what I even did with my partially used bottle.

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2023, 09:12:00 PM »
Wil, maybe we should start a museum of old lube bottles and containers.  Old powder can are worth something.