Author Topic: What do I need to buy to get started?  (Read 23037 times)

Offline Don Getz

Re: What do I need to buy to get started?
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2009, 01:11:42 AM »
Jerry.....that's kind of funny, as I was writing I was thinking, the first time he dry balls one he will wish he had a CO 2
discharger...and knew how to use it.   There are other ways to remedy the situation, but one of those gadjets does make
it easier...............Don

Pennsylvania Professor

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2009, 03:55:08 AM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the further tips on trimming down/modifying the list--just as an update, unfortunately the trip to the big gun fair won't be an option for me this year as I'm going to be up in AK during that time doing research.

Serendipitously, I did finally make contact with someone around here who is involved in organizing rendezvous and can teach me how to shoot. My fiance was coming back from getting her oil changed and while waiting I happened to step into a local bookshop. The proprietor--a Robert Duval lookalike--started telling me about a good friend of his who shoots blackpowder. Strange how that happens.

Following that conversation, I'm hoping to attend the next rendezvous at Whispering Pines. Sounds like quite a function that covers a lot of other things I'm interested in, like plant medicine and pioneer crafts.

I think I'll go with the CO2 discharger--while I'd like to "stay traditional," I'd also like to keep both my hands intact while doing so.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2009, 04:43:02 AM »
Just get every catalog you can find and buy at least one of everything. You're going to end up with it anyway.
Now on a serious note; whatever you decide on get the best available. There is a lot of less expensive junk out there that you would end up replacing with what you should have bought to begin with. Buying less expensive gear is false economy that ends up costing more in the long run. Go ahead and start out with what you're going to end up with.

C. Cash

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2009, 07:10:33 AM »
+1 on Poor Bull's ball bags....just the right size to be useful and well made.  He makes a really nice horn too!  I've made some poor equipment choices/purchases, but those were 2 of the best buys made so far.  Now to order up a bunch of Rich Pierce's flints.......

Offline Z. Buck

• Fabricati Diem Pvnc
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2009, 08:03:59 PM »
PAProf, that wouldnt happen to be Paul Otruba at the Mountaineer bookstore, music store and notary would it? i am sure he was speaking of Bill Bennett, a good friend of mine and the guy who got me into this... well anyway the offer stands for me to take you up to the Whispering Pines sometime and teach you what i know, and im sure he will tag along, just email me or leave me a PM if you are interested, Zack
I Make Inflammatory Statements

Be Prepared

Pennsylvania Professor

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2009, 08:45:05 PM »
Hi Zack,

Sure was him--check your inbox!  :)

Offline Maven

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2009, 09:16:53 PM »
Rob, I've tried several times to send you a complete PM via this forum, but for some reason you've only received the first sentence.  E-mail me at pwbrasky@hvc.rr.com so I can send an entire message to you.
Paul W. Brasky