Author Topic: Buckshot loads  (Read 3811 times)

BrownBear

Buckshot loads
« on: June 22, 2009, 05:53:22 PM »
I'm contemplating developing buckshot loads for my short Bess.  I have no plans to hunt with buckshot, but I'm still curious what can be achieved.

My planned course of action is to use cast 32 or 36 caliber balls, depending on which fits best in "tiers" in the bore.  I plan to compare pure lead and wheelweights, anticipating that the latter will tighten patterns.  I'm not really interested in using a shot buffer if I can avoid it.

Anyone have experience with buckshot loads in the Bess, or 10 or 12 guage for that matter?  Any performance hallmarks I can use to gauge my own results?  I've loaded buckshot in shotshells and learned a little from that, but I'm betting there's lots more experience floating around here on the boards. 

All contributions greatly received.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: Buckshot loads
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 12:47:47 AM »
BrownBear, I have no experience with buckshot loads in a front stuffer, but I would be very interested in seeing any results you get from testing loads, so please share as you progress.
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

northmn

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 02:29:09 AM »
There were complaints from both the British and Americans about the various concoctions loaded inthe muskets during the Revolution, from nails to glass.  WW cast, then hardened for an hour at 450 in an oven and quickly water quenched would likely give very good patterns as that is harder than linotype.  Some water drop directly from the mold into a pail to get hardened shot or bullets uding WW.  If you really want to get nasty use monofiliment line (modern gut) and string the shot on that (I have used split shot sinkers already cut.)  I have blown 3-4 inch holes at 30 yards with that combo.  Just some thoughts.

DP

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 02:32:38 AM »
There were complaints from both the British and Americans about the various concoctions loaded inthe muskets during the Revolution, from nails to glass.  WW cast, then hardened for an hour at 450 in an oven and quickly water quenched would likely give very good patterns as that is harder than linotype.  Some water drop directly from the mold into a pail to get hardened shot or bullets uding WW.  If you really want to get nasty use monofiliment line (modern gut) and string the shot on that (I have used split shot sinkers already cut.)  I have blown 3-4 inch holes at 30 yards with that combo.  Just some thoughts.

DP
Sounds like a good burglar deterrent after you run out of ammo for the 12 ga. trench sweeper!! :(

Offline Habu

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 05:18:41 PM »
Having played with buck in a short Bess, I'll throw out a few thoughts. 

First off, remember that buck is just big shot; the same rules apply.  Generally speaking, lower velocity=tighter patterns, higher velocity=wider patterns.  If you want it to pattern tighter at a relatively high velocity, use a card sleeve to hold the shot together as it travels down the bore.  Different shot will pattern differently, whether the shot is hard or soft, different sizes, cast or dropped, etc. 

In other words, you may have to play around with loads to get what you want. 

Most of my shot was cast, either wheel weights or soft scrap lead.  The hard stuff had a BHN of about 20-21 as I recall.  I used the water drop technique.  After some problems with fusion early-on, I waxed the buckshot by wiping it with a piece of terry cloth filled with Johnson's Paste Wax.  No further fusion problems.

Card wads were about as effective as anything.  I stuck with Starr's recommendations and used two cards under the shot/one over the shot.  Wads were punched out of poster board. 

Charges were those recommended for equivalent weights of birdshot. 

There's really no reason to string shot on fish line; it is not PC, it degrades accuracy, and takes away the "spread" advantage of shot vs. ball.  Besides, piano wire is more effective!  (Finally, a fun way to trim brush around the backstops!)

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 05:36:06 PM »
The only buck-shot loads I've fired were out of a 3" cannon barrel. About 5 to 7 pounds of various balls from .45 to .58, plus a quantity of .58 minnies were devestating on the individual human-sized 100 yard target boards, riddling them and bouncing them back and forth about 10' width of the boards. I think we used dry & green grass/hay for wadding.