Author Topic: Ram rod tip  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Craig Wilcox

Ram rod tip
« on: March 04, 2019, 10:19:01 PM »
I was making a powder measurer from some old deer antler, and wondering what to do with the tip[ that I cut off.
So, decided to make a ram rod tip out of it, it's quite white, just a tinge of color to it, looks almost like ivory.
The plan right now is to join the antler tip to the hickory rod with a piece of #8-32 thread and some epoxy.
Has anyone on here made such a RR tip?  Results?
I used my drill press and a file to round it, just a wee bit under 0.375".  As it is for a .45 caliber, I tapered it to end at about 0.43", then flattened the end.
Figured I would ask for advice before I scraped it smooth.
Many thanks!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Ram rod tip
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 11:43:23 PM »
Threading plus exoxy may work. Threading alone failed in my experience.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 06:44:01 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Joe S

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 02:10:12 AM »
Drill a hole all the way through the antler, then cut a slot in the end of the RR. Put the antler tip on the RR, then drive a wedge in the slot. This is an historically correct method. Works good.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 02:20:31 AM by Jose Gordo »

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 02:32:25 AM »
I did one for a friend like Jose Gordo did cept I "treated the porous end with thin super glue to fill the pores and perhaps add some extra strength.  Seemed to work as 6 years later he has not broke the RR and the tip is like the day I made it.  I guess he is mor gentel with his RR then I thought he might be.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 03:14:18 AM »
Rich, Jose', and Bruce - thanks for the reply and the "tips" on the tip!  I had not thought of the wedge idea to hold it on to the rod.
It did polish up quite nicely, and I think it will look quite nice when I finish the rifle.
With all the surgeries I have been having, it is nice to have little projects like this to help keep me busy.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 01:54:52 AM »
I drilled a 1/2" to 3/4" deep hole into the antler tips and inserted the RR into the hole.  I then drilled a tiny cross hole and pinned the tip just like I do metal tips.  Antler is brittle and one must take care when doing this.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.