Author Topic: Finished Colonial Rifle  (Read 3875 times)

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: Finished Colonial Rifle
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2019, 03:51:53 AM »
  You pass. Great job.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline SHARPS4953

• Starting Member
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2019, 04:37:44 AM »
Beautiful rifle, I just ordered one and am patiently waiting. As one other person asked, I too would like to see how you age your metal and brass..unless its a secret recipe ;) I enjoy the youtube vids

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2019, 08:06:50 PM »
Jim,
All done with a V grove gouge?  I have a few but they are all too big, I think.  What size did you use, and where can I buy one?
That is a very nice job, and as someone previous said, very believable looking.  Just right.
Thanks for your efforts in advancing this enjoyable hobby.
I am sure to others it is a profession, and that's great for them.  But for us with limited rescources, and even less talent, it puts a great rifle in reach.
Are ya working on a fowler yet?  You seem to never rest.

I used a V-gouge from a Chinese made set.  I bought these a few years ago less the handles.  They required finishing as well.  Not the usual Chinese hand tools, but rather a fairly decent bunch of tools obviously made in a small shop at an affordable price.  Think I got at least 50-75 pieces for maybe $150.  If you search, you might be able to find the set.  I would guess the V-tool is about 3/16" or 1/4" in size.

Yes, we're trying really hard to make a fantastic product that is at the same time affordable and able to be put together by about anyone.  Even those with no experence.

I've done a little work on a fowler, but not too much.  In time...

All the best,
Jim

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2019, 08:12:50 PM »
Jim, could you let us know what you used to finish the metal on this rifle. The barrel, lock, trigger guard and but plate?
And the process. Looks great!
I am looking forward to getting my colonial from you as soon as it is ready.
I have been playing with various types of finishes in preparation.

We've been experimenting a lot, so don't feel too confident yet.  Maybe we'll do a video in time?

Thanks,
Jim

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2019, 08:13:55 PM »
Glad you all like it.  As alwsys, thanks for the kind words and support.  It's appreciated.

All the best,
Jim

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2019, 05:13:56 AM »
Ummm !!! Him born full grown,and sleep standing up.With optivisor,of course.  Good name, Jim "Sleeps Standing" Kibler.
Much respect . Great work and service to our hobby. Best regards, Dave  "RedBear" Fortner 8) 8)