Author Topic: Peep sight  (Read 5494 times)

Offline JohnnyFM

Re: Peep sight
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2019, 12:12:58 PM »
Yup, peeps work period. Now how hysterical, I mean historically correct on flintlock rifle guns they are well, have at it. Kudos to Daryl for showing the illustration of the full buckhorn sight. Never has a piece of shooting gear been so misunderstood and so disparaged as the old and humble buckhorn. I blame armchair gun writers for the past 50 years.   They make excellent expedient peeps; deadly on running game with an experienced trigger puller backstopping the butt plate.
Others’ mileage, and sights, may vary.

Daryl Pelfrey

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2019, 06:14:06 PM »
Yes Ron I completely understan as I shot alot of target archery and used bsck tension releases. Sure was fun.best was 357

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2019, 10:30:54 PM »
I have seen 2 Miquelette lock Arabian-type guns with this sort of peep sight. The sight was tall enough to have 3 holes,
which were NOT in a straight line, btw. Just a thought - one of them was a match-lock.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline yellowhousejake

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2019, 11:42:54 PM »
http://eyepalusa.com

I can't say enough good about them. Inexpensive, very inexpensive. No mod to your rifle needed, they fit on any pair of glasses, and do not marr or scratch the lenses. I am 20-250 without glasses and have been all my life. I now at 57 wear bifocals. Using one has allowed me to go back to plain iron sights and shoot center.

I disagree with the explanation on how it works. It is just a small hole which increases your focal length like using a smaller F-Stop on a camera. I poked holes in postit notes and stuck them on my glasses for a year before I found these. It ain't magic, but it works.

DAve

Offline gumboman

• Gumbocooking
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2019, 03:19:41 PM »
The EyePal aid really works to sharpen your view of sights. Back when I was shooting matches I kept a home made version of this in my wallet. I used black electricians tape cut to size and shape with a hole punched in the middle. The tape can easily be removed from your glasses when finished shooting. I kept them stored in small piece of plastic film I cut to size and folded over like an envelope. They can be reused many times. Cost nothing to make. Works great. Tried it for hunting but did not like it for that. Now I use peep sights with great results..

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2019, 08:33:25 PM »
No question that these eye patches work.The only concern with the Eye Pal is the fact that there is only one aperture size. I use a Merit disk and am able to adjust the aperture size to accommodate light conditions and it does help. I wonder if the Eye Pal could be offered in different aperture sizes, not adjustable but different openings.
Mark
Mark

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 09:51:49 PM »
Don't see any pictures of Boone, Crockett, or Kenton with apertures on their coon skin hats. When their eyes started to fail they either lived with it or more likely just added a ghost ring to their tang. Serves the same purpose but is more historically correct. See pictures on page one of this post.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 10:10:46 PM »
We have a peep sight class in our shoots. Many shooters do both and score better with open sights. Might be best to stick to one or the other.
Andover, Vermont

Turtle

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2019, 06:56:46 PM »
 I only add a ghost ring  peep, leaving the rear sight on, when deer hunting. It helps me on quick shots or when I have buck fever. If I have time I still align to open sight.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2019, 07:53:39 PM »
Not a hunting rifle, but on one of my table rifles I have an open rear sight and a tang mounted peep sight, the front is a post and bead. I use the two rear sights to assure my sight alignment. Kind of like insurance. Would be a pain in the patooty in the field but works well in competition.
Mark
Mark