Author Topic: NMLRA small bore sil.  (Read 1379 times)

Offline snapper

NMLRA small bore sil.
« on: February 24, 2019, 05:41:49 AM »
The NMLRA uses 3/8 sized animals for the .40 cal. and less sil. matches.  Yardages are 40, 60, 80 and 100 yards.

All the 3/8 sized animals I could find are made for shooting with a .22.

I had Custom Metal Products out of MO make me a set out of 3/8"  AR500 steel.  This is rated for non magnum center fire rounds.

Once I placed the order, they cut them out and shipped them within 2 days.

Today I bent the rebar and made swingers out of them.

I am thinking that I will need to figure out something to keep them from tipping backwards after they get shot.  I am thinking that if I drill a hole in a piece of 2x4 and have that piece of 2x4 laying flat on the ground  it should keep them from rocking backwards.  Or I could weld another piece of rebar angled on the backside towards the ground.

I have never really shot this game at Friendship.  I like to get a little practice in before I do it for score.

Now the snow has to  melt and things warm up.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Molly

Re: NMLRA small bore sil.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 06:04:52 PM »
"silhouette"...............    S I L H O U E T T E

Offline Hefner

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 07:16:48 PM »
Snapper,
I made a set of .22 silhouette animals back in the 1980's.  I used pipe threaded at each end across the top wide enough to accommodate the different size animals.  Then I added 90 degree fittings at each end and next I threaded more pipe to made the frame tall enough to allow the animal cutouts to swing freely.  I welded two U-shaped metal loops to the top of each animal. a neck chain from a dairy cow was then run through each loop and over the pipe frame.  Each neck chain was connected with a large key chain type split ring for easy replacement if shot up.  Now, to get to your support question, I cut angle iron pieces about 24" long and welded 4"-5" sections of round rod that would fit tightly inside the pipe legs of the frame. I positioned the angle iron "feet" perpendicular to the frame and never had a frame tip over from bullet impact.

This setup was very functional and capable of being broken down and stored flat.  Each piece could be replaced if damaged.   I kept the pipe joints lubricated so that I could unscrew the pipe frames without the need for tools.

Steve Hefner

Offline Hefner

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 07:22:45 PM »
Snapper,
If you like my description, just make the "feet" like I did except use a hollow pipe with an inside diameter that will accommodate the diameter of your frame legs.
Steve

Offline Hefner

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 07:27:41 PM »
I forgot to say that I welded the 4"-5" rods in the middle of the angle iron "feet" not at the end.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 10:52:49 PM »
Snapper- were the holes already drilled for the hangers?  Here, they make us put the holes lower, so the plates hangon an angle, to deflect bouncing shrapnel down.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline snapper

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 12:27:29 AM »
They cut the holes in for me.  The closest target is set at 40 yard, the farthest at 100 yards.  Since they will all swing, not that heavy and will yield, I dont think that I will have to worry about a round bouncing back.  But you never know, I have had stranger things happen.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline alacran

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 02:54:25 PM »
Those targets are the same as the NRA center fire pistol silhouttes. If they are doing it right at friendship the targets a set on a rail. Targets count as a hit when they are shot off the rail.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline flembo

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 06:11:45 PM »
I made my stand like Hefner although I just made square targets.