Author Topic: How I make my antler measures  (Read 1924 times)

Offline B.Barker

How I make my antler measures
« on: February 26, 2019, 03:36:02 AM »
Ok guys I posted a how to somewhere on the net and never found it. So I'm going to do another one to try to help a young man and maybe some others. I took a photo of the tools I use to do about 90% of my work with the one file I missed was a round needle file. I also use three square and square needle files some but I can get by with out them. When I make my measures I file out the exterior first and hollow out the measure second. I like to have a long piece of antler so it's easier to hold on to. The only time I use a vise when making antler measures is when I cut the excess antler off. I usually start with a 6" to 8" piece and end up with something in the three to five inch range. Ok so I rough out the measure with a half round double end file. I use the coarse end for most of the rough work and use the finer end to make the moldings. I switch over to a finer cut half round file to smooth things up and get a bit more definition. Then I use my pocket knife to scrape the exterior surface to get rid of the file marks and slick it up. Once I get it like I want, I then cut the extra length off and drill a pilot hole. The pilot hole is usually 3/16" to 1/4" rarely do I use a drill larger. After I have the hole drilled I will use a round needle rasp to work the hole larger. I also use a chisel to enlarge the hole but you really need to be careful using a chisel for this. I use a chisel when the antler is pithy and I soak the antler in hot water for ten minutes or so to soften the pith up for easier removal. I also make the hollowed area tapered(see photo). I use my knife to smooth up the hollowed out area as far down as I can. I usually taper my thong hole from both sides also. I use my pocket knife for this step also. Once all this is done then I will put on the embellishments. If the embellishment is cross hatching I use a file, for scrimshawing I use a modified carving knife. I hope this helps a few out there and if you have questions please ask.

Online Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Re: How I make my antler measures
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 04:29:04 AM »
Thanks Brian.  Great how-to.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Huntschool

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 07:42:53 AM »
Brian:

Excellent build instructions.  Thanks for showing them.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Percy

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 04:35:34 PM »
Nice build along, thanks for sharing.

Percy

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 05:11:09 PM »
 Thanks for taking the time to post this. In the tool line up what I like is your pocket knife, one of yours I'm sure.

Tim

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 11:43:10 PM »
Thanks for the powder measure tips.  And, yes, it really doesn't take a whole lot of tools to make them.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 04:29:13 AM »
 8) 8) 8)... thanx, Brian,... great instructions,... I've never scratched on antler,.... do you soak the measure in anything before scrim or just scratch with sharp tool,.....? 

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 04:37:50 AM »
Tim, yes the knife is one of mine.

Dana, I usually soak them in hot water for ten minutes or so. It will soften them up enough to make it easier to engrave.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 05:17:39 AM »
 ;) ;)... thanx, Brian,... figured they would be much harder than horn and difficult to scratch,... your designs scratched in look great,... gonna try on next one,.. probably look properly primitive,... !!! .....

Offline msellers

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 05:38:33 AM »
Thanks Brian, this is a very quality easy to follow description and drawings.

Mike

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 07:55:35 AM »
Thank you for posting this.  Great information!