Author Topic: nipple  (Read 1093 times)

Offline snapper

nipple
« on: March 01, 2019, 02:54:56 PM »
I have an original percussion rifle made in Philadelphia.    It needs a new nipple.  The original tread dia. is a little less than the 1/4x28.

Any idea on what thread I should be looking for?   I assume that it will not be  metric?

I can always send it to my buddy Rick Weber and have him make me one, however if it is something that TOW sells, no need to bother Rick.

Thanks

art
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Turtle

Re: nipple
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 03:30:41 PM »
  I have a set of 4 progressively slightly larger nipple taps that I have saved many damaged nipple holes with. I think I got them from track. They also supplied corresponding sized nipples.

Offline kudu

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 04:43:16 PM »
I think you should Thread (tap) the hole to 1/4-28 and be done with it.
Plenty of Nipple"s and lengths to choose from then

ron w

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 04:47:00 PM »
 how much is " a little less "?....will a 1/4-28 nipple start or go in tight, or will it not even start ?.  I ask because it could be that the threads were cut with a worn tap and are slightly under size at the major diameter.  have you tried a little anti-sieze compound on the nipple threads and then very carefully turning the new nipple in ?. also it might be that the threads are undersize because the tap used bottomed out before full threads were cut. you might want to purchase a shallow hole tap or bottoming tap and run that down the hole to give you some full threads.  if the old nipple came out easily, you should be able to start a new nipple in the hole. there are no undersize nipples available that I know of, only over size.

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 04:53:57 PM »
It could be a 12X28 nipple.  I have two 1849ish rifles that take that size nipple.  Best to check the treads of the nipple with a thread gauge to verify.  TOW sells 12X28 nipples, as they are used on T/C Senecas and Cherokees.  If that is not the right size you may have to re-cut the threads of the bolster.

Offline snapper

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 05:09:17 PM »
Thought about re tapping, kinda hate to do that however. 

I dont have a thread gauge, but I think perhaps I can find one.

It is smaller than the 1/4x28, just a little bit.  Threads are still in great shape.  The outside of the nipple is all beat to heck.

I will have to check on the 12x28.

I can get a nipple made, not problem and no cost.  Just dont want to make my buddy do that if one is easily available.

thanks

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 07:44:46 PM »
I have an original that is tapped for 12-32. Some of those short guns with spinning cylinders use that size. .225 thread diameter and 32 threads per inch. Track sells them.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Semisane

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 09:01:52 PM »
Simple solution. Take the barrel to a hardware store and try and assortment of bolts until you find a thread that fits.
My wife says I'm totally nuts, but I think I'm Semisane.