Author Topic: Another Bag Question ...?  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Nessmuck

Another Bag Question ...?
« on: March 02, 2019, 03:24:16 AM »
Do you folks have a button on the bag flap ..I know a snap ,would not be period correct....or something similar to keep the contents in the bag..should you take a Dixie ? Or you just run with the plain flap ? Thanks......I just want to buy the “right” bag once...if you know what I mean. I hope bags don’t turn into fly Rods....like you just can’t have one....lol

Offline Huntschool

Re: Another Bag Question ...?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 03:44:36 AM »
Well.....  I have 15 fly rods sitting in the corner.  Boo and carbon.....

A bag is as personal as a wife.  Mine keeps telling me so.  You need to look around and see what really tickles your fancy and then step back and decide if it fits all your needs like PC, HC and whatever else you need and want.

I make my own and some for other.  It takes some time when I build for others as I need to really have a feel for what they are thinking and what they want...…

JMHO
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline Frank

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 02:32:15 PM »
Each muzzleloader you have needs its own bag.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 03:47:23 PM »
Try making a bag out of an old pair or jeans or similar cheap/recycled material with the features you are curious about and see if they work for you.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline trentOH

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 04:55:56 PM »
Well.....  I have 15 fly rods sitting in the corner.  Boo and carbon.....

A bag is as personal as a wife.  Mine keeps telling me so.

Ahh. I sometimes hear my shooting pouches talking to me too. Usually they say something like "I'm bored. I need someone to visit with while you're at work. Get a pouch for me."

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2019, 05:58:36 PM »
Do you folks have a button on the bag flap ..I know a snap ,would not be period correct....or something similar to keep the contents in the bag..should you take a Dixie ? Or you just run with the plain flap ? Thanks......I just want to buy the “right” bag once...if you know what I mean. I hope bags don’t turn into fly Rods....like you just can’t have one....lol

Sure you can. I have one bamboo fly rod and do all my fishing with it. Been doing that since the 50's.

As you might guess I have one bag too. I'm a minimalist.

One is an easy number to remember.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 10:12:03 PM »
This is the bag I use...

https://www.accu-riser.com/e-700-eastern-possibles-bag/

The bottom of the flap is pretty close to even with the bottom of the bag. Underneath the flap is a small pocket with a button closure for anything that I think might bounce out while moving... Which I have never had an issue with anyway.

The bag I carry when I'm out with my .50 has a flap with a small hole that a thong pulls through. The thong gives a small measure of extra friction to keep the flap closed. And I can tie a simple knot that pulls loose with one hand for more security.

But again, I have never had an issue with stuff bouncing out. Of course I don't make a habit of running with my gun and gear, and have never had need to hang upside down while carrying the bag.

I agree with each gun having its own bag assigned to it. It keeps you from having to load/unload the bag when you switch from gun to gun and need to pack specific gear for that day's chosen gun.

The gun may also help determine the bag you choose... A rifle doesn't need much to keep it going. So a bag for a rifle can be pretty simple... Perhaps a belt bag or just stuffing your pockets with what you need. A smoothie has more options for shooting and may require a bit more bag to keep everything organized for switching from ball to shot, patches, wads, etc...

The bag I linked above is really too much bag for my .32 I usually have to resist packing it with more than I need. But I have it, and it i ever decide to get a smoothbore i think it will work well and I can just buy (or make) a smaller bag for the .32

I probably just gave you more stuff to think about instead of helping you narrow down your options.

MIke

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 10:25:58 PM »

One of my bags has a button.  I usually take a ball that is for the rifle or gun that bad is relegated to, flatten the ball and stitch that (tie) one or more onto the underside
of the flap. This or these lead 'buttons' add enough weight to keep the bag's flap closed and allow it to drop against the side of the bag when I withdraw a hand with what
I wanted from the bag.
My .69's bad only needed one lead 'button'. That button weighs almost 1 1/8th ounces.
I do not have more than about 14 or 15 fly rods, honest - well, maybe 16?. Is that what you mean? I do have a bag and horn for each gun. Learned that from Taylor.
So you choose a gun, grab that bag's bag and horn and every tool for that gun, is in the bag. May have to replace patches and balls, but all accouterments for that rifle
 are there along with a priming horn.
 Check quantities, replenish and done.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 06:02:00 AM »
Nessmuck,

My bag buttons as well. 

It's easy to undo and do up, and saves worry of chucking stuff out when running, but I don't run anymore!  (Sometimes I Dream I'm running!)
Button is brass If I remember right, with an iron middle soldered in.  Used this rig more than 20 years.  Maybe 25 .

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 06:11:52 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^ I like how your Horn ...ties into the bag strap

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 08:18:04 PM »
Each muzzleloader you have needs its own bag.

That's my view as well.  All set up and ready to go.
Mike Lee