Author Topic: cleaning with tow  (Read 2178 times)

Offline dave gross

cleaning with tow
« on: March 02, 2019, 11:39:01 PM »
This very dry and cold Maine air had my rifle's barrel a mess of dry fowling.  Chasing it with the usual jag/flannel and water was not dislodging the fowling at the breech.  Wade Patton (ALR) mentioned that he uses tow for cleaning so I gave it a try.  A ball of tow saturated with Mr. Flintlock's lube worked a treat for getting the last of the stubborn crud out of the grooves. The tow and worm clean my barrels far better than patches/jag and water and after a light swab with WD40 the bores are very clean and slick. More fodder for the never ending debate.

Dave Gross

Smokey Plainsman

Re: cleaning with tow
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 11:57:01 PM »
You can keep the WD40 and magic (read: overpriced) wonder lubes, but tow and water (or spit) are great!

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 01:12:20 AM »
This very dry and cold Maine air had my rifle's barrel a mess of dry fowling.  Chasing it with the usual jag/flannel and water was not dislodging the fowling at the breech.  Wade Patton (ALR) mentioned that he uses tow for cleaning so I gave it a try.  A ball of tow saturated with Mr. Flintlock's lube worked a treat for getting the last of the stubborn crud out of the grooves. The tow and worm clean my barrels far better than patches/jag and water and after a light swab with WD40 the bores are very clean and slick. More fodder for the never ending debate.

Dave Gross

I'm not saying to not use tow, but why not do apples to apples? If you use Mr Flintlock on the tow. Why not use it on the patch?

Offline dave gross

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 01:28:00 AM »
  I reckon that the tow fibers get into the grooves better than a flannel patch on a jag.  I surely don't want to kick the ML cleaning hornets nest....use what suits you, I say.

Dave Gross

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 01:29:00 AM »
Tow is some tough stuff and can stand up to a good bbl scrubbing. When you抮e done scouring just rinse the black crud off the tow and it抯 ready to go for the next cleaning session.  A little will last you a long while. I never found hot water to be better than cool water for cleaning though some argue hot water evaporates quicker to lesson chance of rust but I can抰 see much difference. 
My opinion from hysterical, I mean historical research is to keep her well greased over spotlessly clean.  We can indulge in the cleanliness boot camp inspection when we get home to or 21st century life.
Not a WD40 fan but I do loves Ballistol, I surely do.
Others mileage may vary

Daryl Pelfrey

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 03:35:56 AM »
Ok tell this dummy wha tow is.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 03:38:36 AM »
Regarding Ballistol, our mileage is a world apart.  It dissolves perfectly in water for an excellent patch lube, though.  Mix it with the water in your bore for a rust preventative?????
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Turtle

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 03:54:29 AM »
 Tow is a byproduct of getting linin fibers out of flax shoots. It looks like a bunch of hair.It was used as a rag in colonial times. It is blond color, hence the term "tow head" for a blond kid. It also makes good tinder for flint and steel fire starting.

Daryl Pelfrey

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 04:57:16 AM »
Thankyou Turtle

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2019, 05:32:58 AM »
I use Ballistol straight.  Works for me.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 05:34:27 PM »
Regarding Ballistol, our mileage is a world apart.  It dissolves perfectly in water for an excellent patch lube, though.  Mix it with the water in your bore for a rust preventative?????

I don't. I use it straight.

Tuffluck

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 08:34:38 PM »
Tow is great stuff, even after its filthy let it dry and it makes great fire starting tinder. Twist it and wrap it around the cleaning tip to keep it where you want it. Tow and beer whiz will get you out a jam in the field too,  but that's another story.....

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 08:47:15 PM »
I've posted this before but here goes again. This is the tow I use. It's coarser than a lot of the tow you can buy and I like it better. It lasts a long time.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/4210/category/593/category_chain/578,346,593/product_name/PA4500+Flax+%22Tow%22

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 08:55:48 PM »
Another option if you want to buy it by the pound. Should last a long time.

https://woolery.com/spinning-fibers/flax-hemp-bamboo-ramie-fibers/flax-tow-1-lb.html

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2019, 09:20:47 PM »
Tow is great stuff, even after its filthy let it dry and it makes great fire starting tinder. Twist it and wrap it around the cleaning tip to keep it where you want it. Tow and beer whiz will get you out a jam in the field too,  but that's another story.....

Yes, but if you keep your water (or solvent) tow separated from your oily tow, then you wash the water tow with more water and it cleans up enough to use over and over again.  Also gets a little finer.  I've never thrown any out or set any ablaze or bought a second helping.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Dennis Daigger

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 08:15:16 PM »
Another source for TOW: http://www.flaxforsale.com/html/the_store.html and it was the best price I could find by far.