Author Topic: Lead question  (Read 2684 times)

Offline msellers

Lead question
« on: February 04, 2019, 05:41:25 AM »
Ok, so i stumbled upon this in one of my random searches. The guy claims they are 90% pure with 10% wheelweights. Is is worth a gamble for a semi affordable supply of lead, or just asking for trouble?
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223341559346

Mike

Offline stikshooter

Re: Lead question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 06:24:35 AM »
I do not buy any lead ever from ebay (BAD Bad BAD)I have several I do buy from Cast Boolits  and they are absolutely trust worthy and way cheaper /PM me for names if interested/Ed

Rich1212

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 07:15:32 AM »
Talk to some local plumbers.  They usually have left over or used vent flashings and stuff.  Get it for next to nothing.  Just melt it, flux it with sawdust or beeswax and you have a ton of good lead.

Offline msellers

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 07:23:43 AM »
Ed and Rich, thank you very much for the input and information. I wouldn't have thought to get ahold of a plumber.
Mike

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 08:52:51 AM »
No way.  Adding scrap made it harder.  He ruined it.  It it now a mystery alloy, not "pure" soft lead we want.  .  Also the price is too high.  $3.75 /lb with shipping. 

For reference the lead spot price is $0.95 right now.

https://www.rotometals.com/lead-brick-2-x-4-x-8-99-9-pure/   Better deal on quality pure lead. 

Poke around rotometals site for other options. 

Offline msellers

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 09:00:23 AM »
No way.  Adding scrap made it harder.  He ruined it.  It it now a mystery alloy, not "pure" soft lead we want.  .  Also the price is too high.  $3.75 /lb with shipping. 

For reference the lead spot price is $0.95 right now.

https://www.rotometals.com/lead-brick-2-x-4-x-8-99-9-pure/   Better deal on quality pure lead. 

Poke around rotometals site for other options.
Scota,
Thank you for that link. I know pure lead was best, but wasn't sure how much harder the added mix would be. Also, now that I think about it; forgot that only some wheel weights are actually lead not some other composite added.
Mike

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 04:08:02 PM »
The older wheel weights were alloyed with tin and antimony ( some times zinc ) making the lead way too hard ( ok for smooth bores )
Many and most wheel weights today are steel, zinc or other non lead material.
If you try to use it in a Colt/Remington revolver you will break the ram handle.
Some hunters like a hard ball for penetration, like I said previously, it will work ok in smooth bore, with a patch.
If you are casting for muzzle loaders and modern guns, it is well to keep you lead well separated, so that you don't mess things up.
I am quite sure that shortly lead will be regarded as a real hazardous material, and will put us out of business.
We will have to shoot marsh mellows, or wood sticks.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 11:54:16 PM »
I've been shooting wheel weights in patched round ball guns for 45 years. Won three world championships with them. I like the deeper penetration on elk size animals with the harder lead. There is absolutely no reason to not use it in a patched ball load.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline msellers

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 01:34:23 AM »
Thanks for all the info and input guys. It has been enlightening and informative as usual from everyone.

Mike

Offline retired fella

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 05:05:11 AM »
I have been buying lead from local recyclers for years typically for $1.00 per lb.  I am now down to my last 30 lbs.  I guess it's time to go shopping again.  The last batch purchased was x-ray sheathing which is supposed to be close to pure lead.  I haven't started to glow yet.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 11:14:10 PM »
Ebay Lead = Bad

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 05:54:23 PM »
Recycling plants are more than happy to sell you pure lead or any other metal you desire. I got one 15 minutes away that I buy pure lead flashing for a buck a pound. Those 25 lb bags of lead shot that retail for $60? Nope, I buy those unopened for 25 dollars. I'm the "muzzleloading guy" there so today one of the employees found a brand new pedersoli powder flask that somebody turned in for scrap and they just gave it to me for nothing!  ;D

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 11:02:07 PM »
I have been buying lead from local recyclers for years typically for $1.00 per lb.  I am now down to my last 30 lbs.  I guess it's time to go shopping again.  The last batch purchased was x-ray sheathing which is supposed to be close to pure lead.  I haven't started to glow yet.

I have about 300 pounds of X ray lead given to me by a man that serviced X ray
equipment at our two big hospitals here I have yet to glow in the dark.

Bob Roller

ron w

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 04:24:42 PM »

I have about 300 pounds of X ray lead given to me by a man that serviced X ray
equipment at our two big hospitals here I have yet to glow in the dark.

Bob Roller

best stuff I've found.  I used to request my business agent send me to hospital remodels just for that reason. the contractors were happy to see me peel it off the sheetrock and roll it up to take home because they would have to pay by weight to get rid of it.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 01:07:06 AM »
Well done, Ron.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V