Author Topic: Bottom thickness  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Nhgrants

Bottom thickness
« on: March 03, 2019, 03:49:28 AM »
This was a recent topic which I can't find. In the area below the lock, should the thickness
Between the bottom of the ramrod hole and the bottom surface of the stock be about 1/8
Inch? Thanks

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Bottom thickness
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 03:57:17 AM »
Yes, but a LITTLE less is fine too.  More it should not be.  And your web thickness is also a big factor in your stock geometry.  Keep it at 1/8" to 5/32" too, especially at the breech end.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Nhgrants

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 04:23:43 AM »
Thanks this helps alot

Offline flehto

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 04:18:22 PM »
Because Bucks County LRs are kinda "petite". anything that can eliminate  the bulky look of these LRs is welcome.

So, I use 3/32" of wood underneath the RR hole and the web at the breech is 1/16"....that at the muzzle is 5/32".  Hopefully the pics shown below exhibit a "slenderness" of the Bucks County style....although I do use the same dims for the Lancasters I build.....somehow they seem to look a little more robust. The top 2 pics are of BC LRS and the bottom is a Lancaster.

Offline Mr. Bubbles

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 09:22:53 PM »
What style of LR are you building?  If you are doing another Lehigh, tipping the nose of the lock down will raise the tail, and the sear bar (that also can be bent upwards to thin the bottom for the trigger blade).  Don't worry too much about the lock tail being above the wrist center line.  You can file that a bit to bring it down.  And put your vent hole a little bit above center on the barrel flat too.  Going with a smaller RR can also help you not make such a big hole in the lower fore stock.

But I agree with Taylor and Fred.  A thin web is probably the easiest way to make things thinner.