Author Topic: Germanic Fowler. NMLRA class model  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Ron Scott

Germanic Fowler. NMLRA class model
« on: March 03, 2019, 10:27:16 PM »
I just completed  the final assembly of this Fowler that has been languishing  in storage.  The storyline for this project is somewhat interesting. I bought the plank from which the stock was cut from a sawmill located about 15 miles from where I now live (1995). Jerry Huddleston made the mount molds for me about 2000, using some parts I had on loan. The lock castings are from molds I made about five years ago. I incorporated the mounts, lock and a copy of a Felix Meier Barrel into a model for my 2014 NMLRA seminar. The Fowler accompanied me to the seminar in the white and has had bits of progress added over the intervening years. The English Walnut stock wood was a bit challenging to carve, as the grain has several directional changes.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
Re: Germanic Fowler. NMLRA class model
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 10:33:04 PM »
Stunning work!!!  - Thank you for sharing.... Jon

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 10:36:31 PM »
Boy that's nice. Not many people doing Germanic fowling guns.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 10:46:12 PM »
Excellent, Ron. thanks for posting.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 11:31:24 PM »
 Talk about Eye Candy!

Tim C.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 12:26:53 AM »
Superb piece of wood, and your carving is really tops - does the wood justice!

You also did a super job with the engraving, it is obvious that you set the bar high in our craft.

Thanks for showing this wonderful work.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 12:50:33 AM »
 Ron. Your work is great as usual. In my opinion Ron is the best wood carving teacher in the country.  I'm sure he did the engraving on the barrel as well which is superb. I can see the influence he has had on a lot of other gun makers in the country. We will be attending his gun makers fair in April at Philomath Oregon.
 By the way, I have one set of steel castings like the ones on this gun I was saving for myself but now my health will not allow me the make the gun. If anybody is interested PM me and see if we can make a deal. Only the best gun makers may apply. I don't want to see them go to waste. A real good engraver could make a $100,000.00 gun out of these.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 12:55:22 AM »
Beautiful bit o' work there good sir.  I love the detailed engraving and finish.  It would make a fine smoothbore companion to Ed Wenger's recent rifle gun.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 01:26:31 AM »
Always beautiful work Mr. Scott, but it looks like it could use a bit more drop in the butt. Could be just the picture. they do lie sometimes.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 01:32:24 AM »
Ron. Your work is great as usual. In my opinion Ron is the best wood carving teacher in the country.  I'm sure he did the engraving on the barrel as well which is superb. I can see the influence he has had on a lot of other gun makers in the country. We will be attending his gun makers fair in April at Philomath Oregon.
 By the way, I have one set of steel castings like the ones on this gun I was saving for myself but now my health will not allow me the make the gun. If anybody is interested PM me and see if we can make a deal. Only the best gun makers may apply. I don't want to see them go to waste. A real good engraver could make a $100,000.00 gun out of these.
Well Dad Gumit, that leaves me out.....
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 02:18:50 AM »
Hi Ron,
That fowler is fabulous.  It is certainly the equal of anything made in Europe during the 18th century.  This is the kind of work that cannot be done in steps.  Either you can do all of the required tasks or you cannot, and if you are deficient in one area, unless you have a sufficiently skilled friend who can take over, the end result will not look right at all. I've seen quite a few "European high-art guns" attempted by contemporary makers, and most are valiant efforts that fall short because the maker just cannot do it all.  You succeeded.  Thanks for sharing the photos.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2019, 04:07:22 AM »
Absolutely amazing work. Tremendous piece of walnut as well. Very high praise from JH - gotta be well over the top.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2019, 04:19:26 AM »
Hey Ron, I recognize that Fowler!  What a fabulous gun, one of the nicest I’ve seen.  Carving, engraving, metal work is superb, and a beautiful piece of walnut.  I sure hope you’ll be bringing it to the Seminar, I’d love to see it in person!  Thanks for posting the photos.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 09:03:09 AM »
Beautifully carved and engraved Ron! A true work of art.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 05:29:53 PM »
Man, the “WOW Factor” is off the charts on that piece!  I sure hope you bring it to the CLA in August...I’d love to see it in person!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 05:47:07 PM »
ACH-De Lieber!!!

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2019, 05:53:18 PM »
Ron,

What Smart Dog Dave says above.

I have looked at you pictures real hard, and it is just Right in every way.
Please understand, I am not saying I can do this class of work,  (I Can't!!) but if anything was off, it would show and Nothing is off!  It's as perfect a gun as I've  seen,  and could be taken for a very Top flight original.  (Except it's better than most of the best!)

Congrats on such fine work Ron!!  Beautiful!

Offline acorn20

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 03:49:42 AM »
This fowler is simply outstanding.  I've given up looking for steel Germanic castings.  This is definitely top shelf work and the type of work that all gunsmiths, from master to novice, aspire to.  Congrats and thanks so much for posting.

Dan 
Dan Akers

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 02:29:32 PM »
Ron that is a true work of art. I am envious of the students that were able to take that class. I am sure those that did attend had a great experience.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"