Author Topic: Guess that wood....  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Scota4570

Guess that wood....
« on: March 05, 2019, 12:52:54 AM »
I need a piece of wood for a quick stock on a test bed gun, a unique caplock design.  I found this piece of wood in my stash.  I sanded the  oxidized surface off with 100 grit and a DA.  The darker areas have a spit coat of clear lacquer. It is orangish in color.   The density is 37 pounds per square foot.  It is very hard, kind of rings when bumped.  My thumbnail makes a shiny spot but no dent.  When sanding it has a grass like smell and is mildly irritating. 

I got it from a retired gunsmith who collected odd woods.  If it is something expensive or desirable I don't want to use it for this project.  It is not cocobolo or teak.   

Any of you wood gurus have a good guess on what I have.   

Offline kudu

Re: Guess that wood....
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 01:05:20 AM »
osage orange maybe

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 01:09:53 AM »
That looks exactly like some very dense mahogany that I have here that I've used for guitar building.  Don't remember exactly what specific type of mahogany it is.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 01:28:55 AM »
Looks like mahogany.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline snapper

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 02:26:42 AM »
Not Osage

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 02:31:42 AM »
Looks like some  type of mohogany, I have a very dense piece of Honduran mohogany that is 52 # per cubic foot and it looks just like that. I stained a piece and it matches the Haines rifle very well.

Offline Mr. Bubbles

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 02:51:51 AM »
Speaking of mahogany. I wonder why it wasn't used much if at all in the finer presentation guns of the days of yore.  It certainly was known at the time.  Used for fine furniture quite a bit.  Is it just that English / European walnut had taken hold for that purpose, and there was no displacing it?

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 03:18:06 AM »
I think tlallijr nailed it - sure looks and sounds like Honduran mahogany.  That is a very hard, dense species of mahogany, easy to machine, but also easy to split if you don't drill for screws or nails.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 03:23:23 AM »
That looks like Sapele, it's an African hardwood.  It machines pretty well, although I don't think it would carve well as it does tend to splinter.  Very hard, does emit an odor when working it.  It finishes well but does light fade both finished an unfinished so watch where you store it.  It isn't rare, at least that is what my lumber guy tells me and has a reasonable cost as opposed to mahogany.  Here is a pic of a jewelry box I made from some a couple of years ago, and also a raw piece.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 09:52:53 AM »
Thanks,

I guess the bottom line is, "should I make a stock out of it?".

Scot

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 02:57:07 PM »
Looks more like cherry to me.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 03:35:37 PM »
Thanks,

Scot
I got a pretty good lesson in mahogany when I had the help of a professional lumber guy to determine what I had. Sapele  and Honduran are very similar, sapele tends to have straighter grain and will smell like cedar when worked. You have to look at the end grain with a loop to determine the species. The part that made no sense to me was the two woods are so similar and hard to tell apart yet if its sapele its no big deal, if its Honduran you have hard to find piece of genuine mahogany.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 03:39:39 PM by tlallijr »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 03:37:11 PM »

I agree.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Goo

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 03:37:19 PM »

Scot

YES!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 05:32:28 AM by Goo »
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 05:09:02 PM »
My guess without being able to touch and smell it is mahogany.

JMC
John Cholin

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 05:54:54 PM »
Might be Madrone. Madrone looks like cherry. Cali’co hardwoods in Windsor Calif. made a lot of modern stocks for Weatherby’s lower grade rifles out of it. I built a couple of tradeguns out of it. It is the easiest wood to work with I’ve ever encountered. It will take stain so easily that it’s real easy to get it too dark.

Hungry Horse

ron w

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 11:52:59 PM »
knowing the density as posted and looking at the pics, I would say it is in the mahogany family. there are so many sub-species, it's hard to nail down the exact name.  I wonder, though,....how did you come up with the density and not get a hint at the name ?.

ron w

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 12:10:33 AM »
Speaking of mahogany. I wonder why it wasn't used much if at all in the finer presentation guns of the days of yore.  It certainly was known at the time.  Used for fine furniture quite a bit.  Is it just that English / European walnut had taken hold for that purpose, and there was no displacing it?
    neither Maple or walnut is all that great as a wood for boats or wet conditions in general.,....that said,. the Mahoganies are and it's preference was well known and well established, back then already. it's production was taken up buy the boat building industry and the furniture industry almost completely. the fact that virtually none is grown anywhere locally to the large portion of gun building areas, it's use as stocking wood carried expense and waiting time in shipping ,.....so, walnut and maple, two much more easily available woods, virtually world wide, in some subspecies or another,...got the nod of approval.

ron w

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 12:24:44 AM »
there also a sub species of Mahogany, a dark red variation, called "Iroko" who's sap wood is lighter and less dense than the heart woood, but fairly hard. considered an industrial wood,... it is commonly used in crating and shipping over seas.  I used to have some and it made nice furniture, but it was very resinous and hard on blades. it also displayed the darker mottled spots, like in the pic of the full stock blank.
again, a sub species of Mahogony,....there are so many it's hard to nail it down to one specific name.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 12:28:57 AM »
I initially thought perhaps cherry also, but looking at it as closely as I can on a computer screen, I think it's a bit too grainy to be cherry.  I'm like 99.9% positive it's one of the mahogany variants.  Figuring out which one, though - good luck.

If it's good and hard, it will shape well, cut well and take carving very well; there's a reason so much fine furniture was made of mahogany.  However, I personally do not like it for a gunstock.  For lack of a better way to describe it, I find most mahogany that I have worked (and much of it true South American mahogany, not the African stuff) more prone to crack or split with a good hard blow than any of the American woods typically used.  In other words, if you gave the buttstock a really hard whack or knock or tumble, I would bet that the mahogany would split cleanly right through the wrist before either cherry, walnut or maple would do so.   
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 12:40:06 AM »

Yes, looks like Cherry to me.  I'm not that familiar with the exotics, but I've seen that color cherry in the oxidized natural state plenty of times. The piece I have now is a bit darker, and is lovely with finish on it.

But of course my sniffer is my best confirmation tool.

Edit: re-reading the OP I see where that was covered and agree that Cherry isn't usually that hard. Great luck with it. Best thing, it's not ASH!!!  :o
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 12:48:47 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 12:41:03 AM »
https://www.wood-database.com/honduran-mahogany/

The end grain is a spot on match under high magnification.  The rest of it looks right.  IT takes AF nicely.

I am concerned about it wanting to spit while inletting, carving, and later in use. 

Anyone have experience working honduran mahogany?

Scot

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 12:49:04 AM »
Scot

If it really is Honduran Mahogany it will work very well.I used a lot of it in a previous life/business and most of it takes detail very well.

Mitch

ron w

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 01:40:31 AM »
the close up on reply#5, looks very much like typical Mahogany grain structure, as well,.... more so to me,..... than Cherry.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 07:30:30 AM »
Scott, I worked a lot of mahogany of various species when I built and repaired boats in the late '60's, early '70's.  Great wood for that purpose!
It does not detail carve well, although I made a few name-boards for a few sailing vessels.
Some species have a very open grain.  Not as open as most oak types, but some attention needs to be taken to fill it when finishing clear.
Drill any holes for screws or nails, very slightly undersize.  I generally made plugs for any screwheads, and used countersunk screws exclusively.  Easy to make the plug line up with the grain, and if you make them from the same plank, they will be un-noticeable.
I have seen a few modern-type firearms made from Honduran mahogany, and it seemed to have held up very well.  A few bumps and dents, which I took out with steam.
Best of luck with it.  It is a handsome wood when given a clear finish, and will make a striking gun stock.  Let us know how it goes.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.