Author Topic: Kreps Rifle  (Read 14846 times)

Offline VP

Re: Kreps Rifle
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2009, 04:43:58 AM »
Bill, a wonderful rifle that I hope makes the trip to Dixon's. It would be a please to hold it. If you were building a rifle for me I would want you to have your own interpretation and not make an exact copy.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 05:19:13 AM »
That's one book I don't have Bill, but regardless, you have created a wonderful rifle here.  I love it all, but my favourite is where the lower butt stock moldings are interrupted by the two lobes of the patch box brass.  That is cool and required some planning.  Great patch box - intricate piercings.  There is so much to the wood that it doesn't matter what the barrel length or calibre are!
Yes please interpret.  After having viewed images of quite a few of your rifles, Bill, over several years, I think I could identify your work without seeing your signature.  That's something to strive for.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2009, 05:31:22 AM »
Bill, I just noticed....Happy Birthday!! :)
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 12:58:43 AM »
mels dad, getting older but still feelin good. Thanks to all for the kind comments.

My opinion on this is that if you try to copy something exactly that you don't have in your hand, you wind up with a Chinese copy. Better, I think, to work in the style and change a few things on purpose as if it were something the gunmaker did shortly before or after.  In this case, I tried to make the head of the patchbox more gracefull and tried to balance out the carving a little better on the wrist on the lock side.
Check out the one by Allen Martin on his site. A very close copy except he completely changed to head of the patchboz to one commonly used in Kreps' area.

There's nothing wrong, however, with copying one exactly if you have it right there. This can be very challenging.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 01:44:50 AM »
Very nice Bill, as always a fine job of craftsmanship. I looked at this rifle on the blog just today and was very impressed with the quality of your design and work. Well done sir.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Madcaster

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2009, 08:45:47 AM »
 Bill,you sure will have to be considered one of the greatest craftsman of our beloved flintlocks!I know it must be quite a bit of personnal satisfaction that stays with you regardless of any money or any amount of money recieved for such work.
 I want to thank you for posting pictures of your work,you really set a high standard!

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2009, 11:35:54 PM »
Bill,
Simply put, that's a fantastic rifle you've created!
John
John Robbins

Leatherbelly

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2009, 07:02:39 AM »
  Bill,
    you never cease to amaze me!

Jeff Peters

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2009, 03:58:34 AM »
Bill,
True artistry.
You are the master
Jeff

Bob Rearley

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 09:51:12 PM »
Beautiful work Bill.  Don't hesitate to post any of your other work in the near future.
Bob

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2009, 10:11:24 PM »
Bill, No matter the style, you always make it your own! beautiful, simply beautiful!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln