Author Topic: Schipper Class at Conner Prairie - Recommend?  (Read 1374 times)

Offline 120RIR

Schipper Class at Conner Prairie - Recommend?
« on: March 05, 2019, 06:28:25 AM »
I'm considering signing up for John Schipper's class at Conner Prairie this coming October.  I've been engraving primarily for the Rev War reenacting set for over 30 years but I'm completely self-taught and would like to improve my skills and expand my abilities.  I'd like to hear from guys out there who have taken comparable courses from him.  Your thoughts?

Offline P.Bigham

Re: Schipper Class at Conner Prairie - Recommend?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 03:54:47 PM »
I took his class and would recommend it. Learned at lot and had a good time. Would also recommend Chuck Edwards. 
" not all who wander are lost"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 05:16:23 PM »
First thing he's going to do is to tell is to forget  everything you know. Then if you're right handed he's going to make you hold the bare graver in your right hand and the hammer in your left. I tried it, my left hand is too stupid to hit the graver with the hammer. ::) I must say, it sure work for him! You'll learn a lot about sharpening and design which are critical skills.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 06:13:17 PM »
Mikes right I forgot about the bare engaver I eventually put my handle back on.  I was used to engraving towards myself holding graver in left hand and hammer in right. 

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 08:09:39 PM »
A graver with no handle?  I assume the gravers you are referring to are quite long...or something?  I've done very little hammer/chisel engraving and almost entirely push engraving even on brass and soft steel so that technique is what I'd really like to learn more about.  Re-engraving the lock plate on a 1970s Japanese Brown Bess is one thing but better quality steels - gotta' go with the hammer/chisel technique I'm sure.

I have no desire to work with a power graver either.  They didn't use them "back in the day" and neither will I.  I'm also not going to be engraving on a regular, high-volume professional basis either so the speed of a power graver doesn't figure in what I'd like to do.  Can anyone provide contact information for Chuck Edwards?  I can see lots of blogs and the like on the interwebs but nothing mentioning classes.  Thanks!

Offline P.Bigham

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 10:12:33 PM »
John shippers had use use a small engaver with no handle he claimed his had none. But he had a small cartridge epoxied on his.   Chuck Edwards 573-568-2075.  He was offering classes a while back.  He is a good teacher. 

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 05:09:06 AM »
All,
Of the two instructors recommended, from the forums experience, which would be best for a left hander?  I was scheduled for Tom Curran's class at Canter's cave last year when, unfortunately, he came down ill and the class had to be cancelled. Need to pick up another class to learn colonial style engraving. Thanks.
Elkhorne

Offline j. pease

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 05:23:31 AM »
John is an exceptional engraver and will learn a lot. Look at his book on engraving. He has multiple guns on display for reference  I think class well worth it.

Offline horologist

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 05:46:53 PM »
My wife and I spent a week at Connor Prairie a few years ago and had a great time the people and facilities were all first rate. If I can ever save up enough vacation time we will return.
I took John's class and thoroughly enjoyed it, although that was one of my more grueling vacations, you *will* work. He is an excellent instructor and I recommend both the class and his book.
His style of holding the graver is different (I've been told it is Asian) than what most people consider the traditional method. This may seem awkward if you have prior engraving experience. When I took the class I had never engraved anything so had no preconceptions, the method seems sensible and comfortable to me. I think it would make it easier to see the graver at work. However I would like to try the more traditional method as well, and to that end signed up for Tom Curran's class but hurricane Irma threw a wrench in the works and had to cancel.