Author Topic: Trade gun ready to go to new home  (Read 1481 times)

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Built 1st gun in dorm room at college
Trade gun ready to go to new home
« on: March 05, 2019, 07:00:21 AM »
Been working on this for a friend.  He will do th final finishing.  Had to re do the barrel inlet to make room for the front lock screw....that was interesting and educational.   Really enjoyed this project.   Next is a 1/2 stock offhand gun for me !  Will be using some of the guns pictured in Ned Roberts book foe inspiration.

Mike Mullins

Offline Bigmon

Re: Trade gun ready to go to new home
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 04:23:53 PM »
That shop is way tooooo neat.  Looks like my Living Room.  How did ya get that fine project done in such a neat shop?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 05:10:29 PM »
You just don't see a lot of guys building NW guns. I like them but have only made one. I always disliked letting guns go in the white, it always seems I left the project unfinished.
 You could eat on the floor of my shop.

If you were a beaver. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

jussi

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 05:41:03 PM »
  Awesome build.  who made the barrel?  36 inch?     

Offline gusd

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 05:47:40 PM »
Like Bigmon said ! Wish I could keep mine that neat.
Also what is that sweet looking m/c with clip ons on the work stand?
Gus 8)

Offline mikeyfirelock

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 07:11:11 PM »
Friend brought the parts to me to build. Said he’d bought them 30 years ago, and never done anything  with them. Don’t recall whose barrel, and not at home right now. ( I’ve known this guy for 50 years almost so no hesitation to do this. Besides, I’d rather build guns than anything else. My price to him is a fifth of  GOOD bourbon.) He wants to do the finishing, and I think it’s ready....I sanded to 400 grit, and he is more than capable to do the rest.
The bike is a ‘66 Honda Superhawk, named the “never ending Honda”.   I could be persuaded to part with it and the spares.I have too many bikes
Mike Mullins

Offline mikeyfirelock

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 07:14:46 PM »
PS.   Thank you Mike Brooks for posting your tutorial on buttplate attachment with nails.  It was a great help.  ( my work didn’t look as nice as yours however)
Mike Mullins

ron w

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 01:46:34 AM »
i could eat on my shop floor too,.... but then I've eaten lunch in a 30 foot deep hole in the ground while waiting for the concrete truck !.