Author Topic: Question about powder measured & bag ?  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Nessmuck

Question about powder measured & bag ?
« on: March 01, 2019, 05:18:01 AM »
Looking to get my first bag....and just wondering how you guys attach your antler powdermeasue to the strap on the bag ? Or you don’t even do that ? What’s the hot set up ? Keep your antler measure in the bag or somehow teacher it to your bag strap.....Pics would be great ...and thanks

Offline Pukka Bundook

Re: Question about powder measured & bag ?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 05:36:22 AM »
I've made and used a goodly few antler measures, but prefer a brass one that fits inside the muzzle so I can load pretty near the ground if I have to, Nessmuck.

Brass can ring like  bell if free to roam on a thong, so mine lives in a sleeve like for a shotgun cartridge. (see below)

Turtle

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 03:32:59 PM »
 Next to short starters, untethered powder measures and the most lost items on woods walks I have been on.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 03:17:14 PM by Turtle »

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 03:44:25 PM »
Lots of historical reference showing the measure dangle from the bag with hemp, leather, sinew, etc. etc.

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 08:05:48 PM »
Sometimes my antler measure hangs from a thong on the bag... Long enough to tuck inside the bag.

Or a thong on my powder horn.

Mike

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 08:50:44 PM »
I put it on a thong and tie it to the strap. I stick it in the bag when i'm not using it and pull on the thong when I want to use it. That way it doesn't flop around.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 12:23:46 AM »
I put it on a thong and tie it to the strap. I stick it in the bag when i'm not using it and pull on the thong when I want to use it. That way it doesn't flop around.

ditto - thong to horn strap - in bag when walking.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 01:48:57 AM »
"Lots of historical reference showing the measure dangle from the bag with hemp, leather, sinew, etc. etc."

Right, but it doesn't hang there unless you are loading.  The rest of the time it is tucked away inside the bag under the flap. 

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 02:02:01 AM »
 It has a tether on it so that when having to load rapidly, like after you miss a Squirrel and are trying to watch were it is going while you are loading, you can drop it and finish the load quickly. That's another reason why I carry a loading block while Squirrel hunting.

Tim C.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 10:48:00 PM »
Nessmuck- I no longer use antler powder measures, due to the variation they produce on each powder charge. I have found, that
a 3/8" tube measure makes for much more accurate powder throws, from my horns. I make them from ctg. cases, usually, turning off the
belts and turning down the rim-ends. A screw-eye soldered into the flash hole makes for an attachment point for a thong or string.  The
synthetic sinew that track sells makes good strong '[thong' that actually looks great. A cross-pinned plug of wood also makes a good end-stopper.
Brass tubes from the hobby store also make good powder measures. The far left measure and the two on the far right, top row, are brass tubing measures.

Daryl

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 12:04:57 AM »
Sometimes my antler measure hangs from a thong on the bag... Long enough to tuck inside the bag.

Or a thong on my powder horn.

Mike

I guess I fibbed... I pulled my bag out and my measure (at least for now) is tied on the same thong as my ball board. I pulled it off the thong on the horn when I swapped out horns a while back.

I can throw a charge of powder, let the measure drop, then load a ball from the board. Finally I can tuck both measure and ball board back in my bag.

Mike

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2019, 08:13:34 PM »
I used to carry mine on a thong but it was too hard to reach into my pants to use it!

Switched to carrying it on a tether around the neck along with a leather capper.
Mike Lee

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 11:50:38 PM »
Can't stand carrying things that flop around and get tangled up while moving through the woods.  I tether the measures, alright, but then put them in the bag.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Steve Patterson

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2019, 05:10:46 AM »

ditto - thong to horn strap - in bag when walking.

Ditto

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 10:07:56 PM »
Nice thing about using a thong, is you merely need a hole in the strap, run the thong through and tie a 1/2 knot to hold it there.
Use your nipple pick to untie the knot when changing powder measures if you use the same horn for other guns.
Daryl

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2019, 11:34:41 PM »
Anything that doesn't tether or go in the bag goes into a sleeve sewed on the bag strap.  That's where I carry my short starter and it's handy, very accessible and secure.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 01:29:26 AM »
I have both knife sheath and short starter sleeves on the wide strap.
Daryl

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 01:37:22 AM »
I've made and used a goodly few antler measures, but prefer a brass one that fits inside the muzzle so I can load pretty near the ground if I have to, Nessmuck.

Brass can ring like  bell if free to roam on a thong, so mine lives in a sleeve like for a shotgun cartridge. (see below)

That measure looks identical to my "English designed" 3-dram measure for my big rifle.
Daryl

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 05:50:10 AM »
Daryl,
Mine's a shade less and holds 2 3/4 drams.   

I have another that I made from copper sheeting from the roof of Neuschwanstein castle in Bavaria.  (Copper a gift from my old Bavarian pal now in Golden.)