Author Topic: My Latest Attempt  (Read 1841 times)

Offline M. E. Pering

My Latest Attempt
« on: March 06, 2019, 05:55:46 AM »
I realized a few weeks ago that I had never shown any work here to be scrutinized by those with more or less experience.  Well, here is my first posting of this sort, and feel free to comment.

This is my attempt at a York County School colonial rifle, probably made around 1770.  It may be a tad nicer than most found in this period, but I don't think by much for a nicer rifle commissioned at the time.  You will notice it is not perfect, and it was not intended to be.  The brass is burnished, not polished, and you may notice that some scraper marks are still evident.  The barrel is 44" long and swamped, and unfortunately I didn't get a shot of the whole rifle.  It is .45 cal, which though were not popular at the time, were not uncommon.  The finish is a bit lighter than I was aiming for, but the pictures make it look even lighter than it actually is, both the stock and the steel parts. 

I am not a good photographer, and wish I were better.  Criticisms are welcome.

Matt

818 statewide

Thanks for looking.

Offline JamesT

Re: My Latest Attempt
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 02:09:34 PM »
Nice. I really like that side plate

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 06:56:09 PM »
Looks like a lovely rifle with good craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing your work.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 07:02:21 PM »
Looks pretty good. Sharp lines and crisp carving can't beat that.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 09:33:25 PM »
I'm not very informed concerning what was usual for those rifles, but I think you did an excellent (+) job.   Much of the work in that time period wasn't "perfect" as many still believe; yours probably is pretty close.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • member 2
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 09:45:33 PM »
I like it, clean and crisp job!!!! You should be proud. Jon

Davemuzz

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 10:26:06 PM »
Nice scroll work for a first attempt....wait.....nice scroll work PERIOD!!

If I could do scroll work like that......I could then say I do quality scroll work!!  O->-<   <----There is an example of my scroll work!!

You did a very fine job!!

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 12:13:42 AM »
Well done Matt.  That is a sharp & crisp looking rifle.  Did you forge the trigger? 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 12:38:30 AM »
Nice - I usually like maple darker, but nice indeed.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline M. E. Pering

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 12:47:48 AM »
TommyG... Yes, I forge all of my own triggers.  This one is a bit different though, as it is the first one I have made by cold forging.  Bama started a thread back in November, IIRC, on cold forging a trigger, so I gave it a shot.  For me, it worked surprisingly well, so I decided to use that method on this trigger.  The trigger is fastened to the trigger plate, not pinned in the wood.

Matt

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 07:17:58 AM »
At my first glimpse of your longrifle, the word "graceful" popped into my head.  It is VERY well done, and indeed, very graceful.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Steve Patterson

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 08:30:49 AM »
This is the first time I've seen that style of carving where the wrist transitions into the butt/cheek. I like how from differwnt angles or lighting it looks as if the butt is swallowing the wrist or the wrist is flowing over the butt. Very nice sharp carving in my humble and admittedly unlearned oppinion. It's  pleasing and interesting to the eye.