Author Topic: Stepped Butt Plate  (Read 1340 times)

Offline gibster

Stepped Butt Plate
« on: March 06, 2019, 06:52:34 PM »
I'm posting this for a friend and don't have access to the rifle itself.  He is trying to determine the origin of this rifle. It's a full stock, pretty plain rifle. The butt plate, side plate and the toe plate are pretty unique and hopefully will be able to help identify where and maybe even who made it.  Here are a couple of pictures. Any and all comments are welcome.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 08:17:19 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline wormey

Re: Stepped Butt Plate
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 08:02:36 PM »
Made by Thomas Peden in Greenville South Carolina.  Use the search on this site for him.  His buttplates are distinct to him.  Wormey, Boiling Springs, S.C.

Offline gibster

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 12:01:08 AM »
Thanks Wormey.  I'll pass the info on. I knew that I had seen another rifle with the same type of butt plate on here and tried to do a search for it. But couldn't remember who had made it so really no way to research it.

Offline Levy

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 12:25:34 AM »
I have one (T Peden half-stock) that belongs to a friend of mine.  It has the number 4 engraved into the toeplate.  I think the one that was discussed on the ALR Forum had the number 8 engraved into the toeplate.  I don't know the significance of the numbers.  James Levy 
James Levy

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 04:34:34 AM »
I would agree with the Peden attribution but... That side plate and trigger guard are a little different. Wonder if this one could be an apprentice?

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 04:47:26 AM »
This is a David Boyd Side Plate.

You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 04:51:37 AM »
This is a David Boyd Toe Plate: