Author Topic: Shipper's graver angle  (Read 5697 times)

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: Shipper's graver angle
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2019, 09:39:54 PM »
Justin..., those are good diagrams, and if Jerry posts any, you can be guaranteed they’ll be excellent as well, Jerry knows what he’s talking about...

If you really want to take the aggravation out of all these angles, degrees, and assorted headaches, do yourself a favor and purchase a Lindsay Universal Sharpening Template.  Yes, it’s a little pricey with the stones, but they’re worth every cent.  Just my two cents after struggling with the same situation your talking about.  The Universal will work for 99% of what you’ll do on an American rifle.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2019, 10:45:35 PM »
 The following chart is for use with the GRS duel angle sharpening fixture or the quick change sharpening fixture. However if you don't have one the chart will help you understand the angles of the gravers and the nomenclature. In this chart the tilt is the amount one would tilt the graver to achieve a parallel type heel. If one wants a conventional heel the tilt would be the same as angle A on the chart.   Hope this helps

Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 10:51:47 PM »
Justin,
Listen to Ed.  You will be dollars ahead to get the Lindsey setup.  It will simplify your sharpening and get you engraving which is where you need to be.  Because the Lindsey system is so simple to use, you will find yourself touching up your engravers more often which will accelerate your engraving proficiency  immensely.
David     

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2019, 11:49:37 PM »
   If you decide to use inexpensive 1/8" cobalt lathe bits to engrave with, Steve Lindsay will make the template mandrel to hold the 1/8" bits. I believe the template usually comes set up for 3/32" gravers.  All you have to do is ask him.
Kevin
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 05:03:04 PM by Kevin Houlihan »

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2019, 03:29:15 PM »
Thanks for all the help, guys. The diagrams really clear things up. It always helps me to visualize what people are talking about. I'm going to order a bunch of the 1/8" lathe bits and experiment. They're only like $1.99

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2019, 09:07:10 PM »
In the chart I posted the illustration of the heel angle shows a rounded heel. It is not necessary to have a rounded heel but I use one for certain special effects and it is good for all line engravers. I don't think you can produce a rounded heel with a Lyndsey template.
   Just a warning about wide belly angles for beginners. When cutting a straight line one trouble beginners have is to keep a steady depth. A wide belly angle poses a problem then because any variance in depth cases a wider or narrower line and with a wide belly angle this problem is magnified. So even though a line may be straight it does not appear so, For beginners I recommend sticking to the 90 degree graver
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2019, 09:43:51 PM »
I don't think you can produce a rounded heel with a Lyndsey template.

Yes, they do offer a round template.

Justin, If you go to the Lindsay website, or Engravers Cafe website you can find a number of videos showing guys cutting various type of designs, lettering, sharpening, etc. Most of these are being done with pneumatic tools, but none the less, a lot can be learned just by watching how the cuts are being made.

Plus, its just cool to watch a really expert engraver cut  a design with seemingly so little effort!
John Robbins